Chapter 9

Lily's first memory of her visit to Seench's house was waiting by the garage with the window open as to feel the crispy, end-of-summer breeze hit her; the type that was cool enough to provide refreshment from her muggy apartment room with Daphne, but also the type that reminded her that summer was nearly over, another change nearly as big as the move to Pink City. She would've inhaled this breeze for a short while longer, had it not been for Seench eventually coming out of their house and running down the driveway where she had parked.

Despite their last-minute flip-flops for running out of the house, Seench was generally well kempt, and had styled their suit into a casual blazer look; one that did not look too posh for their rendezvous with Lily but at the same time a lot more pleasant than their typical mint hoodie. Lily knew that Seench was very fond of her, but even this gesture surprised her.

Lily did not even intend to make plans that day. Her idea was to stay in the apartment with Daphne until she recovered from her hangover, and maybe take a short walk along the sidewalks, at most. This was until she got a lively text from Seench.

"Hey Lily! I really wanted to thank you for everything you have done lately to make me feel more worthy as a person, even if I AM half-SEENCH, but I thought doing it over text wouldn't have the right feel... Why don't you come visit my house? 135 Pickdale Avenue. Oh! I also have a surprise for you!! :D" Sent 9:43 A.M.

Lily considered turning Seench down and rescheduling the meetup to keep Daphne company, but surprisingly, Daphne was in favor of having her visit Seench.

"I won't mind if you go... Lily..." Daphne said. "Poor thing's all lonely and desperate for companionship. Plus, I could use some time in silence. My head is spinning and I've puked, like, twice today."

So, Lily decided to stop by Seench's, for the sake of both of them.

"Lily! Lily!" Seench hollered. They stopped by her car door and signaled for her to come inside.

Seench took off their flip flops at the start of the mudroom and kicked them to the side. For a second, Lily stared in the shoes' direction, unaware what to do.

"I usually just put them to the side." Replied Seench. Lily did as they said. Next to her shoes lay the pair of dirty, sea glass colored flip flops and a pair of generic flat-footed red sneakers, one putting half its weight against the other. The shoes looked cheap and uncomfortable, however Lily noticed that Seench's bare feet had no calluses or blemishes from their poor lifestyle, and seemed nearly as clear and smooth as the skin on the back of their hands. She felt another twinge of sadness when she realized that the skin was nearly childlike.

Seench nearly grabbed Lily's hand to lead her into the kitchen, but then pulled her hand away again. "Follow me!" They said, and Lily did.

In front of them lay a small table wrapped around in a fabric matcha green tablecloth, and mini croissants dusted with powdered sugar lay in a ceramic bowl in the middle. Seench pulled two wooden chairs from across the room and dusted them off, then sat in the space closest to the window. They patted the second chair and smiled at Lily.

"Sit," Seench said, and while Lily sat they ran and brought dainty white teacups for the both of them and a plastic pitcher filled with hot water. Seench placed a tea bag into both cups and placed the pitcher next to the croissant bowl, the spout facing towards Lily as if inviting her to take a sip.

Lily expected to feel flattered, but instead felt a little uneasy, and the elephant in the room only became obvious when Seench looked up at her for approval. She sat up in her chair.

"Seench, is this supposed to be... a date?"

Seench choked on their tea, aghast, then looked back at Lily again, even more wide-eyed than usual.