Chapter 28

"Why did you bring me here?" Frankie asked, squinting her eyes against the bright beach sun, which made Neptune appear as an angelic silhouette against it.

"You said you wanted to meet with me again. The beach is your favorite place, isn't it?"

"Touché," Frankie muttered. "Why are you wearing that dress?"

"It's called a frock." Neptune giggled, adjusting the straps of the white frock they were wearing. "I wanted to ask you something."

"Oh wow..." Frankie whispered. "Well, that depends, is it good or bad?"

"It's not bad, but it is impulsive..." Neptune chewed their thumb nervously. "It's really good, though."

"I'm a little confused, Neptune." Frankie giggled.

"Just wait..." Neptune whispered, kneeling onto the moist sand. When they faced Frankie, they were holding out a velvet green box with a delicate ring inside; a small peridot embedded on the surface.

"Frankie, will you marry me?" As Neptune smiled, Frankie clasped her hands to her mouth.

"Are you..." Frankie mumbled. "I don't believe this... why would you want to marry... me? I thought you had it for Lily..."

"Because you never left." Neptune chuckled sweetly. "You've always been there for me, even when I got drunk and angry... Lily and Britnee left, and everyone looked down at me for being a SEENCH. But you didn't. You were always there."

Frankie was speechless as happy tears rolled down her face, then joyfully nodded. "Of course I'll marry you, Neptune." She replied softly, but lovingly. Frankie's chest briefly shook, and Neptune thought that she was sobbing until they heard the gentle cackle of laughter.

"You know what Eliza told me nonstop after you left? She went on and on about how fun you were, how you would be a great mommy for her. I guess I know what I can tell her now."

"I'm happy to hear it." Neptune giggled. "And I couldn't have been happier to meet you."

That night, as Neptune returned home, they discovered a small envelope taped to their door, with a daffodil sticker printed on it. Assuming this was a note from Frankie, Neptune opened the envelope eagerly, gently unfolding the strip of paper inside of it. Surprisingly, they found that the letter was written by Daphne.

Dear Neptune,

Honestly I'm not sure how to even apologize for my actions, so I guess I'll try to explain myself first. I struggle with NPD (Or, as most people call it, "narcissism") This means I struggle with attention seeking behaviors and lack of empathy for others, and to be honest, when I lied and then wrote that article about you, I kind of wanted to show you your "place", and basically "piss you off". After I heard about your overdose, everything changed for me.

I want to apologize for all the times I tried to turn people against you. It was unethical and extreme, and right now I'm seeking therapy to try to expel this poison inside of me that damages people around me. I hope someday you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

Sincerely, Daphne

"I forgive you, Daphne..." Neptune whispered with tears in their eyes as they clutched the letter tightly to their chest. "And I wish you all the best."