Chapter 21

"I'm sorry that we got off on the wrong foot. But, I hope we can make new beginnings together and be good friends."

After that, there was silence. Beyond the scope of the six people, the chaos of the mall continued; two stores down, a small child screamed at the top of their lungs, and in the opposite direction a trio of middle aged women bantered, but between Daphne and the others, the quiet awkwardness was the only thing noticeable.

Finally, Aiko spoke up. "Thank you, Daphne. We appreciate it." She muttered, although based on the stoney faces of the others, it was obvious she was lying. Next to her, Neptune was huddled between Britnee and Frankie like a frightened child.

"So, do you want to go shopping?" Daphne asked sheepishly. "I know a good boutique just across from the Victoria's Secret."

"That sounds good. We can do that." Neptune murmured. When Lily looked over at Neptune, she noticed that their face and neck were shiny with sweat, and as the girls began walking down to the boutique, Neptune wobbled over towards Lily.

"Lily. Are you..?"

"Am I with her? Yes, I'm with her. We got back together." Lily answered. Neptune was taken aback by her unsettling nonchalance, and Lily was walking purposefully faster.

"Why...?"

Lily's sneakers skidded against the tile flooring as she turned to face Neptune, and looked them dead in the eyes. "Because it's my life and I decide who I get to keep in it."

"That isn't what I thought..." Neptune whispered. Their eyes, now a shade darker than usual, didn't turn to face towards Lily.

"Oh my God. You DISGUST me, honestly. You say you're 'traumatized' from DAPHNE?" Lily shrieked. Neptune's mouth opened, but they said nothing.

"What, you're 'traumatized' because Daphne kissed you? Big. Fucking. Deal. Didn't you, like, screw Frankie the night of Aiko's birthday party?"

"How did you..." Neptune whispered, ashy white.

"Aiko told me Frankie took you home. Guess you got the attention you finally wanted."

When Lily faced away from Neptune, the whole group stared at her, jaws dropped. The first person to say anything was Britnee.

"Lily, what the fuck happened to you." Britnee mouthed, more an expression of shock than anger. She looked like she was about to throw up, and her eyelashes were dewy, like she had been crying.

"Heh. As if you weren't the first to mock them." Lily whispered. After a moment of silence, Frankie took the arms of Neptune and Britnee, and led them the opposite way. When Frankie had progressed five feet, Neptune started sobbing.

"What... happened to Lily..." Neptune blubbered, a series of jerky gasping between their words like hiccups.

"She'll be ok." Britnee hushed, giving Neptune a reassuring pat-pat on the back. "She's just a little confused at the moment."

When everyone but Daphne and Lily had dispersed, Daphne faked a gag, looking out towards the exit of the mall. "Blech. That SEENCH really gets on my nerves."

"I should've known they were an attention whore. Remember that time they invited me over to their house? They told me they were suicidal."

Daphne giggled slightly, but stopped when remembering the rest of the group, and how awkward they were around her. Sensing Daphne's expression, Lily tugged on her arm gently.

"What's wrong?"

"The group. They all think differently of me now... I feel like I need to... even out the score with Neptune. Give them a taste of their own humiliation."

"Phhh! That's hilarious." Lily chortled, but Daphne did not laugh along.

"I was being serious." Daphne snapped. "Someone needs to put that SEENCH... in their place."

Lily stopped giggling. "And how exactly are you going to achieve that?"

"I have a few plans." Daphne muttered. Lily smirked along with her, for she had little idea to what extent Daphne's plans could entail, and how far she was willing to take them.