Chapter 17

With one more week to go, Keith had almost completely secluded himself from the other paladins. He still attended meetings and went on missions, but he had stopped spending time with them outside of events related to Voltron. What was the point? He already looked like enough of a monster that none of them would want to be his friend anymore if they saw what he looked like. Galra or not, he was hideous.

"Keith?" he heard Shiro knocking on his door. "Can I come in for a sec?"

Keith could have just answered through the door, but he hated getting Shiro's hopes up. He didn't want him to think that things were going back to normal. Keith could never be normal again. Instead, he stood up, and opened the door for him, and looked at him hesitantly.

"Don't worry..." Shiro held up his hands. "I'm not here to talk about... this..." Shiro gestured to his overall appearance. "I just wanted to... hang out. Like we used to."

Keith seemingly thought it over for a moment. "We could play a board game. He added. Even one of the ones that you're really good at, but I suck."

Keith gave him a small smile, before finally nodding.

"Great!" Shiro smiled and stepped into the hallway where he had conveniently left a pile of Altean board games. "You're choice."

The two ended up setting the game up on Keith's bed while each of them sat on different sides of the board. Things were going pretty well. Keith was winning, not that that was a surprise. This was the first time that he and Shiro had spent some quality time together in a long time.

"Man..." Shiro whistled, "You really are good at this game," Keith smirked.

However, Shiro's face took on a more serious tone. "Keith, I'm so sorry to have to do this..."

Keith wasn't sure what he meant until out of nowhere, Shiro ripped the hood off of his head. Keith stared at him in horror, while Shiro just looked confused. "Purple hair? That's your big secret?"

Keith glared daggers at him and growled. He wouldn't be surprised if his eyes had turned yellow but at the moment, he couldn't find it in himself to care. Shiro had just violated his trust, and he wasn't even able to yell at him about it!

As soon as Keith saw his reaction, he looked down. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. But we're all just so worried about you..."

"Out..."

Shiro's eyes winded and looked up at Keith. "What?"

"Get. Out!" He said through pursed lips.

Shiro did as he said, and heard the lock mechanism fasten as soon as the door closed. He had really messed up...

Keith had really messed up. "He should have suspected that one of them would try to pull a stunt like this sooner or later. He just never anticipated that Shiro would have been the one to break his trust. A few stray tears dripped down his cheek, as he picked up the pieces to the board game.

A little while later, he heard his communicator from Kolivan. He had been keeping him updated on his situation, so he wasn't surprised to be receiving a call this close to the end.

"How are things?"

"Not great." Keith looked down and twiddled his hair absentmindedly with his claws. "Shiro pulled my hood down today. Saw the purple streak."

"I see..." Kolivan looked at him with sympathy. "I can not talk for long, but you already know my opinion on this situation, so I will not repeat it. Just know that whatever your final form takes, you are not a monster. You are a brave young man, who has his life on numerous occasions to save the universe. You are not Zarkon."

"Thanks, Kolivan." He gave him a small smile, "I think I needed to hear that." They both said their goodbyes, and Keith settled in for bed. Just a few more days. He prayed that the changes were over but he feared that those prayers would not be answered...

(A/N - hey guys, thanks for reading! :) When I say vol, you say...)