CHAPTER 8

A man is instructing two children (10 years old) on what is expected of them while they stay with him. His name is Albert Martinez, a close friend to the Christens, Adria, and Felix's late parents. He was named as the new guardian after their death. Carlos Martinez is his only child and is the closest friend to both of the Christen children. Currently, he stands outside the door, eavesdropping on the conversation.

Sitting on the sofa, young Felix opened his mouth to argue with his new guardian.

"Shut your disgraceful mouth, Felix. I am tired of all your grumbling, complaints, and drama. Do you have anything better to do? You whine so much, I don't know how your parents dealt with you. You should be grateful that I was generous enough to take you in and accept guardianship for a brat like you. Stop slouching and pouting like a common beggar! You are the son of a prominent member of society-" Albert spoke sharply, glaring at the boy.

"Uncle Albert, my brother is still grieving for the loss of our parents, please excuse him." Came the calm and evenly measured reply from a pale, blank-faced Adria, her face devoid of emotions. She knew that her new guardian was a very proud man, and sitting down with a couple of children and telling them to behave was demeaning to him and a stab in his pride.

Albert was taken aback. He was very puzzled when he saw the young girl. He noticed that she didn't cry even once, and always had a calm countenance empty of any grief or tears. He found nothing to criticize, she was proper in every way: her posture, and language, and she always kept her emotions in check, especially in public. This was absolutely remarkable for a 10-year-old, and it was impossible in a case where one loses both their parents. But young Adria hasn't wavered in her manners even a bit. Albert was astounded. And even a little proud.

He hid a smile of admiration.

He internally shook his head and tried to regain his composure. A knock sounded on the closed door and Albert called out, "Come in."

His own rebellious son peeked inside, quickly hiding the arrogant and amused smirk he had on and exchanged it with a respectful smile. Carlos hoped his father did not see his previous expression.

His father did.

He glared at the displeasing sight of his son and asked with an impatient sigh, "What do you want?"

"Are the twins done? Cook said that if we wait any longer, our dinner will go cold." Carl said in a very serious voice, lying through his teeth.

"Fine," was the only reply heard. Albert turned to the twins and instructed them on the lessons the next day and finally let them go. "You will go for dinner and go to sleep immediately, understood Adria, Felix, Carl?" He asked of three children, knowing they were not listening to a single word.

"Yes Uncle Albert," Adria replied, nodding.

"Yes Uncle," Felix echoed in a disinterested tone.

"Of course Father," Carl said with a thick layer of sarcasm, and together they left, Felix and Carl grinning at each other while Adria shook her head in exasperation behind them.

After they left, Albert let out a great, deep sigh.