03.

location: interhigh preliminaries

it was as she expected when she came to cheer on seirin. no aomine in sight. knowing him, he was probably on the roof reading his magazines or taking a nap.

so much for being mr-all-star.

the game had started without aomine. (your name) was in awe of seirin's game play. they were a newer team, she knew that. kiyoshi had started up the club last year when he was a first year. she could remember his excitement so clearly.

that's why she was cheering for seirin rather her own school. they had something to prove, and a burning passion she loved seeing.

along with the crowd, she'd yell encouragement to the team. she didn't care if they couldn't hear her. it was a game she was truly interested in.
although she didn't understand the rules of the game as well as most spectators, her analytical mind was enough to get her through it. she even managed to predict some movements of the players.

(your name) was snapped out of her focus when the crowd started talking. kagami had just been subbed out, although he was their main scorer.

it was probably to keep his energy, although he was moving around weirdly. he might have strained something. her mind flew at a million miles per hour as she replayed the first quarter and what had gone by of the second in her head.

"keep your head up, taiga!" she yelled, grinning when she saw the red head look up at her. kagami shot her a thumbs up, eyes filling with determination.

he would need his energy for the second half, for when the ace of touou academy would arrive.

"that was a really nice nap. hope the point difference isn't too embarrassing since i'm now in the game."

kagami stumbled slightly when he felt an arm wrap around him.

(your name) stared. aomine had appeared, and he was clearly messing with kagami. what an asshole.
"play hard, taiga!!" she yelled out once again.

aomine's arm pulled away from the opposing team's ace. he glared as the girl he would spend his afternoons with was in the stands, cheering for the other team.

"hey you! we're so glad you finally decided to show up!" touou's imayoshi called out.
aomine looked at him unamused, "eh? but didn't i tell you i would come later?"

"enough talk," the touou coach but in, "start the game."

(first name) could tell there was a moment of unease set by aomine's appearance. the gym had gone quiet as he entered the game. everyone was on their toes, watching the point gap widen.
she was unimpressed by the guy she had spent possibly months with on the rooftop. he was one of the few types of players she disliked, maybe even hated.
every day on the roof, she would attempt to convince him to go practice; because practice makes better, she always said- it was true. but aomine was a shitty person, she came to realize.

because aomine daiki truly thought there was no way to become better if he was already the best.

"let's see how well you play." she couldn't hear him, but she could see the way his lips move.

aomine was quick on his feet, possibly one of the fastest people she's seen. but his speed was nothing, as kagami was able to keep up and block his dunk.

the crowd was hysteric, shouting about how aomine was stopped on his first move.

(first name) payed no attention to them. she drowned them out as she focused on the game, like she was on the bench and needed to analyze the game.

she can blame kasamatsu for that, though it does come in handy for her own sport.

by the end of the second quarter, (first name) had stood up and was on her way out. she had seen enough. she had texted taiga, saying 'good game' even though it hadn't ended yet. she knew he wouldn't see it until afterwards.

she knew it would cheer him up a little.

- - -

"oi. you disappeared before the second half started."

in front of her was aomine. he wore the sweatpants he came in, a new shirt, and his team jacket. his basketball bag laid at his hip, held by the strap that was secured over his shoulder.

"i saw what i needed to see." she stood up from the bench she was sitting at.
aomine didn't move from where he was standing, "you were cheering for seirin."

"that is true."
"you don't go there."
"that is also true."
"so why are you cheering for a school you don't attend?"

(first name) looked at aomine. she could tell he was pissed. she didn't care. there was no reason to cheer for touou.
she didn't say anything, simply pushing by the male and leaving him behind without another look.