1.

"are you ready scarlett?" aubrey's RIO, james asked over the comms as she directed the plane to the runway. "when i am i not" she chuckled. they head down the runway at top speed until they're in the sky and going higher and higher toward the clouds.

"now lets start flying. you know the drill try and shoot me down" their instructor, skipper stated as he appears infront of them. before going out of their sights behind them somewhere. they speed away into the distance. "game on"

james and aubrey start a game of cat and mouse, them running and skipper on their tail. "what's the plan scar" james asked. "don't worry i've got an idea" scarlett reassured her back seater.

after another minute of that scarlett hit the brakes and skipper went flying right past them then scarlett had a clear shot on him she splat the fake bullet toward their instructor. she hit him. "excellent job both of you land back on the tarmac" skipper said over the radio.

they landed safely and got out of the aircraft and did their hand shake that they did every single time they did something successful inside and outside of flying of course.

james and aubrey were best friends in both ways. they had attended flight school together and had been flying together ever since. in flight school they would pull all sorts of pranks. well it was more aubrey than james but he was still there as well as two of their other friends, goose and maverick. the other two went elsewhere after school and they all lost contact, sadly.

"scarlett, spike. general wants you in his office." skipper said as he walked past them.

"oh shit what have we done now" spike growned, throwing an arm around his shorter friend.

"you two have been flying together for man years, yes?" general davidson asked the duo. "yes, sir" they both said in unison. "interesting."

"all right. i've made my decision, you two will be put forward to go to top gun flying academy.you will study and train their for 6 weeks and if you graduate you will move up in the flying hierarchy, whereas if you fail to graduate you will be brought back here to this shithole. this is your shot guys. don't let me down. dismissed"

"thank you sir" they said before leaving.

"you've got to be shitting me. we did it bree. we did it." james said picking her up in the air and spinning her around. "holy shit. james this is it. this is fucking it."

they both sighed contently before wrapping an arm each around the other and walking toward their quarters to pack up their things.

aubrey walked smiling at he flying partner, clutching her silver necklace with a charm on the end the shape of a wave. she did consider it her lucky charm, and she never took it off. it meant too much to her.

aubrey and james walked out of their high- fiving randomly in pure joy.

"we'll that was a good day in the office."