9.

"the bogey has a good position right here." viper said. its the next day and we're sitting in one of the classes listening to viper and charlie teach us (or babysit maverick. )

"better to retire and save your aircraft than push a bad position. charlie jump in here anytime." aubrey looked over at maverick who's jaw clicked slightly but overall didn't show too much physical reaction to charlie's name.

"you made a bad choice." viper said staring directly at mav. "charlie." charlie takes over. "aircraft 1 shows a split s? that i the last thing you should do. the mig's right on your tail." she pauses. "the mig has you in his gunsight. what are you thinking at this point?" she asks to no one in particular.

mav decides to answer, "you don't have time to think up there. if you think, you're dead." aubrey does believe that mav feels especially strongly for this idea. "that's a big gamble with $30 million plane, lieutenant." charlie replies, speaking her opinions. something aubrey finds particularly admirable.

from beside aubrey, ice shifts in his seat and takes his sunglasses off smirking. she nudges him, "stop it ice." she whispers. "oh come on you gotta admit that someone had to put him in his place sometime. who better than his girlfriend?" he whispered back. aubrey let out a breathy chuckle as he wrapped his arm around her back loosely. whist aubrey heard james mutter an ew to goose who just laughed a little too loudly in reply to james.

"unfortunately, the gamble worked. the mig never got a clean shot. maverick makes an aggressive vertical move here, comes over the top, and he defeats the bandit with a missile shot. the encounter was a victory,  but i think that we've shown it as an example of what not to do."

again this makes ice's jaw clench and unclench. aubrey runs her thumb over his knuckles without looking at him, just to let him know, she know what he's doing.

goose leans over the railing to where mav was sitting and whispered something that didn't gain a large reaction from mav, whatever it was.

~

after the class ended mav stormed out and with charlie hot on his tail. "yup they're about to go and have some angry sex." aubrey mutter to the boys around her. slider chuckles at her comment. that man likes any joke about sex, it's actually slightly disturbing.

after they had all gotten changed. they decided to go to the bar for a couple of drinks. "i'll have any kind of wine you've got" aubrey asks the bartender politely. he passes her a glass of something and she takes a sip as the rest of the boys order their drinks.

aubrey feels ice's arm snake around her hips lightly as they begin a group conversation. its just ice, james, goose, slider and aubrey here but it's fun. no weird rivalry between mav and ice, so neither of them are on edge or constantly feeling to prove themselves. its easy.

many drinks are ordered and smiles brought to faces before everyone wants to dance. some random u2 song come on from the jukebox and everyone's spirits are high. whether that's from the alcohol or just cuz everyone's in such a good mood doesn't even matter at this point .

then a slow song comes on. aubrey feels a tap on her shoulder, she spins around and is faced with the blue eyes of tom kazansky. "may i have this dance" he says doing a bow making her giggle at it. "it would be my honour" she say also pretending to curtsy. they both laugh as he pulls her in by the waist and she wrap her arm around his neck while resting her head against his chest.

"tom?" aubrey ask. "yes, darling?" he answered. "why don't u like maverick very much?" she says looking up to look him in the eyes. "it's not that i don't like him. i just think hes arrogant-" "you're arrogant" "but he's dangerous-" "you're dangerous." "he takes too many risks-" "you take too many risks" "he's the best-" "you're the be- you are evil mr kazansky." tom just grinned down at her.

"look darling, if it means that much to you, i'll make more of an effort to not dislike him as much." ice said, which made aubrey grin widely. "thank you, tom. that really means a lot to me."

"but i'm only doing to for you, not for that short bastard." which made her smack his shoulder lightly. "starting now."

for the rest of the evening they were together. just the two of them.

hi guys. i am so sorry for not writing. but i have covid now so i'll be off school n stuff for a few days so hopefully a couple of chapters coming your way :)

have a good day <33