Chapter Twenty-One

The following Monday I found myself seated between my parents in the principal's office

"The student in question has been suspended for the time being," the principal assured my parents.

"We just don't understand how this could've happened," Dad said. "How could the story have been told that incorrectly?"

"Will it ruin her chances of getting in university?"

"Let me reassure you. This was just a silly prank. This will not go on Rori's record."

Everyone turned their attention to me, the person who had basically said nothing since coming in here.

"How are you feeling Rori?" the principal asked.

"Like I want to run."

"Do you need some time off?"

"No!" Mom quickly interjected and I rolled my eyes. Of course she would object to the idea of me missing even a second of school. "I don't think that's necessary."

"Sweetheart." Dad tried to coax her.

"No. We can't let this get in the way. This is a moment in time."

"Jeez Mom would you stop it?" I looked at her. "Maybe it's just a moment in time but this is one of the worst moments of my life. The whole school thinks I killed someone and I can't even deny it." Everyone was silent around me. I swallowed back my tears. "Can I please just go to class?" The principal nodded and I stood up. "I'll see you both at home."

I exited the office and walked down the halls. Since class was already in session they were empty, well empty except one person who was waiting for me in the foyer.

"Go away."

"Rori, please you have to listen to me," Andrew pleaded.

I scoffed. "No. I don't."

"Rori, please."

"Andrew leave me alone! You're not my boyfriend. You're not my friend. Just leave me alone."

"I love you."

I stopped walking. "What?" It was the most absurd thing he could say in this moment.

"I love you, Rori."

"You love me?" Fresh tears pooled in my eyes. "This is how you treat the person you love. Is this how you like seeing me?"

Andrew shook his head. "Of course not. I want to fix this."

"There is no fixing this." A hot tear rolled down my cheek. "I get to finish my senior year grief stricken, heartbroken and a known murderer."

"You're not a murderer."

"Tell the student body that."

"Rori."

"Goodbye Andrew."