18 ~ I Miss You

"I haven't been seeing you around much lately," Leona muttered, pulling one of his knees to his chest.

A smile played on Yuu's face. "Is this what you called me here for?" She hummed, patting his head before taking a seat next to him on an orange couch in the Savanaclaw lounge.

It was after her shift at the Mostro Lounge, so she was tired, but she couldn't say no when she got his text. She missed him dearly, only getting to see him occasionally during school hours.

"If you're tired, you can head back to your dorm," he said under his breath. Yuu could tell he felt bad for bothering her.

"I'd rather be here," she responded, trying to convey that she wanted to see him just as badly as he wanted to see her, if not more.

He put his chin on his knee, leaning forward in silence. The light the waterfall was emitting reflected in his eyes, lighting up his sharp features. "You're awfully quiet today," she remarked. "Something on your mind?"

"You only have to work for that Cephalopunk for another day or two, right?" He asked, still staring ahead. She couldn't help but smile tenderly at him even though he wasn't looking. "Yeah, I'll be wrapping things up soon. I'm nervous to see what they've uncovered."

Leona leaned back, keeping his hands on his knee. "What're you gonna do with the info?"

"Y'think I have enough evidence to prosecute them?" Yuu laughed, though only half joking. She hadn't truly thought about what she would do, but she wanted justice. She couldn't sleep well at night for fear of being watched, and when she did manage to sleep, her dreams were plagued with distorted memories from when she was shunned in her past.

"Honestly, though? I don't know. I just want them to get what they deserve," she finished her thought, relaxing back on the couch.

Leona put his arm around the sofa behind her, a gesture that she could tell he felt uncertain about. She let out a soft laugh and scooted closer to him, resting her head on his shoulder. He froze for a second before moving his arm to her shoulder instead of the couch behind her.

They both sat silently for a few moments. Sure, Yuu had gotten much more comfortable with him (she would never even attempt to do something like this before), but being with him still made her heart pound out of her chest.

"I miss you," he said, almost inaudibly. In fact, she had to take a moment to process if she had misheard.

Her mouth broke into an even wider smile if that was possible. He was such a sweetheart to her. She took the hand hanging over her shoulder into hers, still laying on his shoulder. "I should be around more often, if things go according to plan."

Usually, when they were together like this, they would end up gabbing about anything and everything or having a heart-to-heart, but they sat in silence this time. Even though they had a lot to say to each other, they simply lay against each other, enjoying the other's presence.

Yuu wished she'd spent more time indulging in the moment, but her pent-up exhaustion overtook her and she fell asleep in his arms.

Leona wrapped his arm around her tighter, feeling a surge of protectiveness. He couldn't comprehend how anyone would ever want to hurt someone like her. Someone, so strong, yet gentle; so kind, yet firm; so adorable... the list went on and on. She was everything to him.

He held her close, planting a light kiss on the top of her head.

"I promise I'll protect you, no matter what."