Krobus - Nightmares

This one shot is SFW, and gender-neutral.
Trigger Warning: Mugging, PTSD.

Most of it wasn't noticeable. The flinching at sudden movements, the tears brought on by the slightest raising of a voice. It was rare I encountered those things anymore, living a peaceful farm life. There was no more conformity, and thus no more deviance. Life in the city was rough for many. If one wasn't conforming to corporate business, they were on the streets. And armed. Waiting. Those that refused to work, harmed those that did. It made those days behind a desk feel meaningless, as the nothings would take my hard works pay in a mere five minutes that felt like forever. But I was far from it all now. So why did it haunt me?

It used to not be so bad. Yet, things worsened recently. Waking up in a cold sweat, frantic, kicking off the blanket over my legs. The feeling of being trapped. Tonight was no different. I jolted awake from a once deep sleep, heart racing and hands clenching repeatedly. My breaths were quick.

Every night, I saw their faces. Or rather, the masked shadows of their faces. So when I awoke to a dark shadow looming, I was quick to roll away, falling from bed with a pained groan. After a heavy sigh, and a squint of the eyes, I relaxed, "Krobus. Why are you awake? And in my room?"

Krobus hesitantly moved over, and I had no issue grabbing him to help myself up. Krobus just stared, before speaking, albeit a bit sheepish, "You yelled."

Color rose to my cheeks, "Oh... Did I? Sorry."

"Why?"

My brows furrowed, "What?"

"Why are you sorry?"

I let out an airy, tired chuckle, "For bothering you. I'm probably not going to go back to sleep, though, so... go on." Krobus stared with wide eyes, and it was clear he wouldn't be leaving my side anytime soon. Maybe that was why I kept him around. He wouldn't leave. After a few passing moments of silence, I spoke again, "Do you ever... dream?" Krobus appeared puzzled, and I pushed on, "Like... when you sleep? Sometimes, people see... moving pictures. Do you understand?"

"No. But humans are silly. I can't understand." It was plain as that. It wasn't that Krobus didn't want to understand, but simply that he literally couldn't.

That drew a laugh, "I suppose you're right. What do monsters have to dream about?" I couldn't imagine they have nightmares, anyways. What could scare a monster, after all? It was like nightmares having nightmares. However, hearing my own words, I flinched, "I didn't mean it like that. Sorry. But anyways, dreams are usually nice, or at least just confusing. Sometimes, though, dreams can turn sour-"

"Like milk?"

"Like milk, sure. And when they do, they-... They're usually scary. Imagine sleeping, and all you can see is strange buns." Krobus shuddered at mention of an item he loathed, and I continued, "For humans sometimes those bad dreams show rotten situations, sometimes from the past, or dread of the future. For me, it's the past that haunts me. Back in the city, there were these just... horrible people. They were incredibly mean. They used weapons and words to cause needless harm." A look flitted across Krobus' face. Even if he didn't understand dreams, I knew he understood terror and loss, after what happened to his kind, "And they did such to me."

It was horrible. Leaving the office with an aching back, sore legs, and tired eyes. All anyone wanted to do after work was go home, sleep, and eat. Such was not in store for me that night. Being robbed at gunpoint was haunting. Seeing down the barrel of a pistol, feeling hands scouring for my wallet, a fist meeting my gut when I didn't have much money on me. Living through it was hard enough without having to live every day knowing I'll live through it again that night as I slept. Krobus asked a blunt question, "Why did they do that?"

"Because they wanted the things I had, and thought the only way to get it was with violence."

Krobus cast his eyes down, "I pity them."

It was rare he pitied humans, but I nodded along, "Yeah... Looking back... me too." I never thought about them past the terror they inflicted. Never thought about the actual people behind the mask, being the mugging. Krobus was right. They truly were sad. Built on nothing, and building nothing. Pathetic. A small smile plastered on my lips, "But here, I don't have to worry about them. I need to remember they're just dreams."

"They can't hurt you anymore."

I didn't expect Krobus's words to fill my heart and mind with such relief. I found myself sighing, but this time, truly letting it relax me. I gave him a smile, "You're right. I hope those people are living better lives now."

Krobus looked up at me, before leaving. A few moments later, I was joined again. Krobus scrambled up, sitting on the edge of the bed. I chuckled, seeing they he'd returned with two slices of pink cake, "It's nearly two in the morning, Krobus. We can't eat cake."

"Why?"

"Because-... um..." I huffed, "Gimme that." I took the other plate, taking a bite. The sweetness outweighed the sour nightmare. Talking about it seemed to help too. Such vulnerability was foreign to me, but Krobus was someone I could confide in. Mostly because he was my friend, but also because there was a certainty in that he wouldn't go spilling something so private to anyone. I swallowed the bite and spoke again, "Thanks, Krobus."

"Of course," he echoed my words back to me, "That's what friends are for." He gave a crooked smile, which I tiredly returned. The nights that followed were more peaceful. Krobus afterwards swore that pink cake cured nightmares. I wouldn't correct him.

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed! Any requests?