Shane - Confession

This one shot is SFW. The reader identifies as male.
Trigger Warning: Alcohol use.

I hadn't quite meant to get drunk. Especially not in front of Shane, but he mentioned a good bar and I'd had a long enough day, so I figured a drink wouldn't hurt. What I didn't intend, was for one drink to turn into several. I knew Shane didn't expect such either. He had a good buzz going, sure, but he was much better at handling his alcohol than I. Shane had long since walked me home, and thus we sat on the couch. Shane was notably shorter than the other men of Pelican Town, and thus I slumped, all to rest a cheek on his shoulder. Shane chuckled as I did so, "Geez, that farm work must take a toll on you, huh?" It must have, seeing as it apparently had me drunk on a Wednesday night.

I sighed out quietly, "Yeah."

Shane smiled, "Oh, you poor thing."

I nodded along. Yes, poor me indeed! I huffed, "It's hard. When my grandparents ran the place, they had each other. But me, I'm alone. It's just me."

Shane's brows quirked for a moment, "I can't imagine why, cowboy. No one in the city catch your fancy?"

I shook my head, cheek mushing slightly into his shoulder, " No. No one in the city."

"Oh?" Shane tilted his head slightly to let his eyes meet mine, "That implies you've found someone out here, Y/N."

I let my gaze rest on his, "I have."

It was safe to say that Shane's hopes weren't high. There were a thousand other better men than him in Pelican Town. Sam and Sebastian with their musical talent, Alex with his athleticism, Harvey with his intelligence and successful career. Elliot, with his ways about writing and romance. How did Shane stack up to all of that? He was just "some guy". Just a guy you see working in a grocery store and never say a word to or think twice about. Another face in the world, and that was it. It was all what led to a question that Shane feared the answer to, "Who?"

"You."

It slipped from my lips much faster than I meant, but I felt as if it wasn't me controlling the words that passed my lips. But I'd thought about Shane in just about every romantic aspect, now. Sitting on the porch with him, sharing coffee before we both head to work. Returning home knowing there was someone behind the door to comfort me after a long day. Just having someone to share the rest of my life with. I always saw it to be Shane. But the regret came quick, and made all of those thoughts suddenly vanish, because I perhaps just lost any chance of having all of that with Shane. The silence that fell over both of us was instant, and long lasting. I raised my head from his shoulder, eyes still locked. We both began speaking at once, but I was quick to clamp my mouth shut, letting Shane go on. I feared what came next, and yet I was silent, eyes wide and hands trembling.

He broke the eye contact, and the look of pure defeat on his face felt crushing to me. Even more so as he spoke, "You're drunk."

"Shane, no, I-..."

My words trailed off and he looked to me again, expectantly. He seemed to be waiting for something, but no words could come up from me. Thus, he sighed, "Exactly. You're just drunk." Shane, however, better than anyone, knew that even drunk, people spoke from their hearts, or at least their minds. So why did he find himself denying something probably true? I swallowed thickly, adams apple bobbing, "Shane, I-... I'm drunk, sure, but I mean it. I like you. A lot."

Shane scoffed quietly, and I was nearly offended before he added, "I sure hope you do. I like you too." Relief flooded through me, and for a few moments, we just stared. Sensing an energy, I moved in, only for Shane's index to meet my lips. He laughed, "Ah, ah, ah, cowboy. Save it for when you're sober. Believe me, you'll like it better that way."

I smiled along awkwardly, cheeks flushing, "Right!" After a second, I sunk down again, cheek on his shoulder and eyes on the fireplace. For our own drunken sakes, no flame was in its belly. But now, it seemed we had all the warmth we needed in one another. I didn't know quite when I dozed off but based on the way I awoke with a sore cheek, and a numb ass, I knew that Shane had fallen asleep shortly after, both of us on the couch long into the following morning, pounding headaches aside. One thing was certain, though. I got my kiss.

Authors Note
Hope you enjoyed! Any requests?