Chapter 2

Buck grunts and he jumps out of the truck. He glances longingly at the balcony and grins widely when he sees a man standing there "Eddie!" He shouts. Several other similar shouts follow as most of the 118 rush up the stairs to greet the man. I frown at Lucy who is standing beside me with a matching look. "I know I'm new, but I feel like I'm missing a lot," I mutter. Lucy laughs and she heads to the showers. I quietly make my way upstairs and pause when the new guy glares at me. 

"Who's that?" The guy continues to glare at me and I flinch slightly. Man, he's intimidating. 

"That's Layla she's the new..." 

"You replaced me?" The guy growls. 

"Eddie. She isn't your replacement," Bobby sighs. The guy... Eddie keeps glaring at me and I frown. 

"Eds. She isn't your replacement," Buck says quietly. Hen reaches a hand out seemingly to reassure him but Eddie rips his arm away and stalks past me. 

"Traitor," He mutters as he passes. 

"The hell did I do?" I grunt. Eddie spins around and glares at me again. I glare back defiantly. "Look I don't know what crawled up your ass but don't be a jackass just because I transferred here," I grunt. Eddie takes several quick steps toward me and gets in my face. 

"This is not your team. Don't get comfortable," 

"I'll be the judge of that. Now I'd back up before I get pissed off," I hiss. Eddie blinks in surprise and backs up. He frowns past me and practically sprints away. I spin around irritated and frown at Hen. "What the hell did I do?" Hen frowns and shakes her head. 

    "Nothing, Lilith. Eddie's dealing with a lot right now," Hen pats me on the back and heads into the kitchen. "What's for dinner Bobby?" Hen asks quickly changing the subject with a wary glance at Buck. I raise an eyebrow and shake my head. 

The rest of the shift is relatively peaceful with a few minor crashes and a small fire that Buck took out with a fire extinguisher. I sigh in relief as my shift ends and I collapse on my bed and stare at the ceiling for a minute. I only get a minute of relief before there is a loud banging on my door. I groan and head down the stairs swinging the door open. Callie grins at me and marches into the room. 

"Sure. Come on in," I mutter. Callie spins around and grins. She stares at me expectantly and I peer back. "Yes?" 

"Seriously? How was your first day?" Callie shouts. 

"Please quiet down. I would like my neighbors to not hate me... Thanks," Callie rolls her eyes at me and plops on the floor. 

"You really need to finish redecorating," Callie says looking around my mess of an apartment. 

"I literally arrived yesterday, Cal. Half my stuff isn't even here yet," Callie rolls her eyes again and I glare at her. 

"You could always stay with me," Callie says. 

"Cause that went well when we were kids. You kept stealing my clothes," I remind her. 

"They looked better on me!" 

"We look the same!" I remind her. 

"Not exactly. We aren't twins remember?" 

"Might as well be. The only difference is I'm older," 

"And I am never allowed to forget," Callie smiles and shakes her head at me. "We should go shopping and get you some furniture. And clothes," 

"I do need furniture but can we do it later? It's seven am Cal. I'm tired. Let me sleep please," Callie frowns but hops up and leaves. 

"I'll be back in time for lunch," She says before closing the door. I nod and crawl back into bed. 

Callie and I purchase several items most of which we won't be able to move on our own. I frown at the realization and suddenly wish that I was still in Texas. Callie glances at me and frowns. "Hey, you ok?" I nod silently and Callie stares at me skeptically. "Spill it," 

I shake myself off and smile at Callie. "I'm fine. Just miss some friends," Callie frowns as I open the door.