chapter two.

chapter two: take my breath away.
tw: body's shaming.

becky didn't sleep again that night

becky didn't sleep again that night. her head was pounding and her heart was full of guilt. for some reason, she felt guilty. she wasn't sure why, her family was fine. but, the nightmare weighed down heavy on her. it was almost like she felt bad for even having those thoughts in her mind.

pulling into the student parking lot at hawkins high, becky got a pretty good spot. days like these, she was always early, meeting up with her co-captain, chrissy cunningham before the rest of their squad arrived at seven in the morning.

they were hosting this morning's pep rally. it was october, and basketball season was starting. tonight, hawkins high was going up against their direct rivals, the falcons.

rubbing her temple with her right hand, becky laid her head on her car's steering wheel, doing her best to aim away from the loud horn.

the girl definitely wasn't feeling her best for today. the entire day would be spent cheering or holding up a fake smile. or both.

cheerleading was something becky picked up in ninth grade after feeling like she couldn't go back to her group of friends. it's not like she was shunned by them, but after what went down with max, she just felt awkward trying to act like she wasn't there.

"'by nera! the flashing thunder!'" max exclaimed as she got into character, reading wonder woman's dialogue from the comic in her hand.

becky just laughed at the girl beside her, her head resting on her shoulder as they shared the laugh. "you're such a dork!" becky commented, the redhead gasping like she was offended.

max closed the comic book, her finger holding her place before fully turning her body to look at her best friend, her mouth agape. "take that back!" she demanded, laughing a bit with her words.

becky, now sat up, just shook her head. "never." she started, "you, maxine mayfield, are a dork. a nerd, if you will." she informed, playfulness ever so slightly coating her words.

max let an amused smirk play on her lips, her eyes slightly squinting. "take it back."

max has leaned in closer to the girl's face, trying to intimidate her. however, becky was far from that. sitting up more in her spot, she leaned her face in closer, too.

"you're a dork." becky spoke lowly, max's music playing in the back almost louder than her words.

with their faces now only being about two inches apart, the girls' eyes began to wander between each other's lips and eyes, taking in the small details of their face they'd never thought to take in before.