Chapter 26

"Nothing is unbreakable if you apply enough force."
                          -Repeller.

"Khloe!" Spencer rushes out of the elevator to squeeze me in a tight hug "I'm so glad you're okay, I was sick with worry about you."

I hug her back, sighing as I sink into her familiar embrace. Things might've changed, but this would always remain the same.

"What happened? Where did those things take you? What did they want?" She asks as she pulls back from the hug.

I lead her into the living room. She inhales sharply, dropping her purse on a chair.

"Is this view for real? Is it a painting? Can I take it home with me?" She's awed as she moves towards the wall length windows.

I smile as I look out at the city with her "You should see it at night. Absolutely stunning."

"You're going to be waking up to this everyday? Can we switch bodies?" She jokes.

"I'm not moving in permanently, just till we take care of the danger" I tell her.

She turns to me, the look on her face disbelieving "Rightttt."

I narrow my eyes at her but don't argue with her "Drink?"I ask.

"Whatcha got?" She walks through the open archway to the kitchen with me.

I glance at the contents in the fridge.

"There's some soda, beer, juice and..." I trail off squinting at a large jug of red liquid. Is that...blood?

"And what?"

I jump back, slamming the door of the fridge.

"Just the three. If you want something stronger we can go through Robin's wet bar."

Spencer's brows shoot up "What's up with you? Why are you so jumpy?"

I giggle nervously "Jumpy? I guess my nerves are still a little jittery after what happened."

Her face softens "Of course. Give me a beer and tell me everything."

I avoid looking at the red jug when I take two beers from the fridge. I hand one over to Spencer and keep one for myself.

We move back to the living room where I tell Spencer as much as I remember from that night.

"Wow. What are you going to do? It sounds like Casimir is not going to stop trying to kill you"
I tip the beer bottle over my mouth, swallowing the last of the cool liquid "Robin insists I stay here. Since it's warded no one but him can sift in, so that saves me from an unexpected attack when my guard is down. We're going to find a Fae who can teach me how to use my powers for offense."

She nods, peeling off the paper on her beer bottle "That sounds like a great idea. You'll be safer here than anywhere else."

The elevator tings, announcing a new arrival.

Spencer and I turn our heads to see who it is.

A flurry of red hair, fur coat and spicy perfume is the only warning I have before I'm tackled into the couch.

I squeal, giggling "Valkyrie!"

"I can't believe someone tried to hurt you!" She exclaims "I'm really glad they didn't succeed."

"I'm glad too" I say, squeezing her tiny waist.

She pushes off me, getting up from the couch "But on another note, you're Fae! I knew you weren't human. Shame on you for trying to fool me"