Part 13- the game

It eventually gets to noon and we are all at the tigers pitch. Everyone gets ready and the tigers bat first.

"Play ball!!" Yells ham.   "Hurry up batter. It's gonna be a short game, and I gotta get home for lunch"

Number 6 misses.

"That's one" ham laughs. He hits it but I catch him out.

Number 2 goes up to bat.

"You know, if my dog was as ugly as you, I'd shave his butt, and tell him to walk backwards." Ham says.

The boy misses it. The second time he hits it but it too squints gets him out before he gets to first base.

Number 9 is taking his third turn

"The heater" says ham.  "Here it comes. I dare you."

He misses.

"Strike three, you're out" ham catches the ball.

Next is number 14. Philips.

"Hey, is that y/n out there in the left field, naked" teases ham.  "She's naked."

He misses.

"Shut up, porter!" He yells.

"Yeah, be quiet!" I yell.

Philips goes again and hits it. He nearly gets to second base but I get him out. I take his hat and ruffle his hair.

"Unlucky Jordan" I laugh.

"Whatever" he said taking back his hat and walking off.

The tigers finish batting and ham goes up to bat. He hits it successfully. Then Bertram. Then kenny. Then squints. Then smalls. Then yeah-yeah. Then Tommy. Then Timmy. They all make it. Then it's bennys turn. He hits it and makes it. I cheer him on. Then it's my turn. Before Philips throws me the ball he comes over to me.

"My team were all saying how you couldn't play because you're a girl so hit a home run to show them that your the best. I know you can do it, I've seen you do it many times" He says to me.

I smile "give me your heater, Jordan."

He nods. He throws the ball and I hit it, far. All of the tigers are running to catch it, falling and stumbling to get it. I get a home run. And smile at Philips before celebrating the victory with the team. I run over to Benny and hug him. 'We won!' We were all so happy.

Before we leave Philips comes over to me. "Good game" he says. He shakes my hand. I laugh and pull him in for a hug.

"Well done for not being a sore loser." I say before walking away.

We all get back to the sandlot, still talking about out victory. It's late afternoon and we are all unsure about what we want to do. Benny wants to carry on playing baseball but everyone else wants to do something else. Squints suggests the carnival tonight and everyone agrees.