Chapter 9

Ritika and Abhika were seated on the carpeted floor. A brand new kitchen play set was open and it looked like every girl's dream. Abhiram had purchased it recently for her despite Ritika warning him that she had enough kitchen sets to last a couple of years atleast.Abhika was stirring some imaginary dish using a plastic spatula. All the tiny vessels and a doll were strewn on the floor.

Abhiram was perched on his sofa, leaning slightly forwards, with his elbows on his knees. He watched them both with a content smile on his face. He couldn't have asked for more than this.

"Here Mama, eat it. Papa, you too," Abhika handed over a tiny plate to each of them and then she went back to meddling with the tiny utensils.

"What's this, sweety?" Abhiram took the tiny plate and pretended to eat it. Ritika did the same.

"It's biriyani ,"Abhika replied without looking at either of them.

"It tastes good, Abhika." Ritika encouraged Abhika as she continued her pretend play.

"Papa, you have stopped eating . Come on, finish what's on the plate." Abhika sounded exactly like Ritika.

"Okay, okay," he said to Abhika and once again started eating the imaginary dish. Satisfied that her father complied with her orders, she gave him a smug smile and turned away. Abhiram blew out a breath and shook his head. He hadn't played these imaginary 'house-house 'games even when he had been a kid.

"If we have one more kid, they would entertain themselves." Ritika muttered. When Abhiram looked at her contemplatively, she shrugged. "Just saying," she said.

Ritika quickly changed the topic. Abhiram had asked her three months time to think over it and she didn't want to be persistent. So, she asked him about the party later that week. She wanted to take Abhika along but Abhiram had other plans. He suggested they left Abhika with her parents. Her parents had been wanting to spend time with their grand-daughter, so this would be the perfect opportunity to hit two birds with one stone. But Ritika was still not convinced.

"Let's make a deal. We both attend the party and spend the weekend at the hotel and I promise I will come to wonder -la."

Her eyes lit up.

"Sounds perfect. So, suddenly the water in wonder-la is all clean, huh?" Ritika remarked sarcastically.

Abhiram shrugged. "It's a compromise. Both of you will be under my direct supervision."

Ritika rolled her eyes. "Control freak." She tweaked his nose. "Please don't be under the illusion that we are going to listen to you."

Abhiram's upper lip twisted in defiance but he only grunted in reply. He studied her for a minute. Her arm rested on his knee and she was engrossed in the game and was not aware of his perusal.

What Ritika said about him was absolutely true. He liked being in charge of things though control freak might be too strong a word to describe him. But he wouldn't know that would he? Abhiram was an over-protective husband and an extremely over-indulgent dad and Ritika would often lose her cool at his antics. Ritika too had a stubborn streak in her which Abhiram got to know only after their marriage. They had had plenty of arguments in the past because of their differences in opinions. He hoped they wouldn't end up fighting at the water theme park.

***

Abhiram and Ritika were on the way to the Hotel Ritz .They would be early for the party but they had booked a suite there for an overnight stay and had planned to get ready there. As soon as they stepped into the room, Abhiram got rid of their bag in the cupboard near the entryway. The room was styled contemporarily and the furniture looked lavish.