pure blue

a/n: Hi! I'm still working on the new book and will hopefully have more information about it soon. Thank you so much for your patience.

Until then, I hope you enjoy!!

-L.T. May

Based on characters of 'infected' and contains minor spoilers

TW: mentions of abuse (no description)

"Congratulations, young man." The doctor said with a smile, brandishing a small test tube filled with a blue fluid. "You're a protective."

Gabriel nodded slowly. It wasn't as if he was overly shocked by his results. More than anything, he was relieved that he hadn't turned out to be a sadistic. He wasn't sure if he could've lived with himself then...

He listened to the doctor rattle off some information and then received his identity card.

"I can get you some fresh bandages if you want." His doctor offered as he handed off the card.

"What?"

"You arm. It's looks pretty old."

Gabriel had a tendancy to forget which bandages were new and which had been on for weeks. He glanced at his arm, feeling completely detached from the injury on it. He didn't even remember how he got it, he only recalled who gave it to him.

"I'm okay... thanks."

He walked out stiffly, and wordlessly showed his blue card to his father, confirming both of their suspicions.

Gabriel had never made a connection with anyone at that point, not too concerned about finding someone as he was still young. But he did know that when he did that he'd want to keep this hypothetical person away from people like his dad. Thoughts like this clued him into what his strain might be.

Car rides with his father were taken in silence and this one was no exception. Gabriel would find something to fiddle with or flick at to consume his mind so he didn't think too much about the tension that lingered between them.

He just had a little longer to go before he could go to ALFE, he'd be an adult then and away from home for good. That was the plan anyway. Gabriel had long decided that there was very little for him in his home town, he hated his dad, made no effort to make friends, had no siblings and his mother had gone AWOL.

Gabriel felt his hand by slapped by his father and winced a little. He'd been twirling a loose bit of the bandage that his doctor had offered to replace.

"That thing's disgusting. I don't want it getting all over your fingers and then on the car."

"Sorry."

Once inside, Gabriel went to the bathroom and pulled the first aid kit out of the cabinet. He unravelling the rotten bandages to reveal an ugly old wound. He racked his memory for the specific punishment that he'd acquired his injury in but it must've been so long ago that he forgot, after a couple of months they'd just fade into one another. He knew he had done something especially bad (in his dad's eyes anyway) because of quite how long it was lasting.

There was still a resounding ache but most of what remained was surface level at this point. Throwing out the old bandages, he fumbled with the zip of the kit to get out some new ones.

He struggled to get them as tight as he wanted, and kept having to contort his arm strangely in order to apply them correctly. Despite years of putting up with his dad, he was very amateurish at dressing wounds. When his mother was around she used to do it for him, crying through apologies the whole time as she promised to take him somewhere safe.