|15|

Clarissa Bane watched as the trees passed by the car and wished that she was anywhere other than stuck with the people that she was with. It had been a day since they had heard the voice of Stiles Stilinski and a day since he had given them an ominous warning to find Canaan. Something about this plan didn't sit right with Clarissa as the only map that Lydia and Malia could find with the town on it had been thirty years old and no one that lived in the town would answer their phones.

Something about the place caused a pit to settle in her stomach, especially since she was leaving her family unprotected towards the Ghost Riders. It didn't matter that Evie said that she would stay glued to their sides, something about Delcan and Corey's behavior had been odd when she and the others had loaded up into Malia's car at the end of the day.

She glanced down at her cellphone and sighed as she realized that there was no cellphone service the closer they got to the mysterious town of Canaan. Something about the entire situation didn't sit right with her but she owed it to Stiles to make sure that they followed through with his one request. He had wanted them to find Canaan, a small town outside of Beacon Hills that none of them had ever heard of, so Clarissa Bane didn't object with the others when Lydia came to her to ask her to go on their road trip with them.

Lydia seemed to be the only person who could relate to missing Stiles on a deeper level and she seemed to respect that Clarissa loved Stiles in her own way. She wasn't in love with him by any means but the pull that she felt towards finding him made her realize that she probably loved him almost as much as she loved Evie and Brett if not more. Theo Raeken might be her soulmate, but even without remembering him completely, she was sure that Stiles Stilinski was her platonic soulmate.

From the remnants of the voice inside of her head that she was sure was him, she knew that he pushed her farther than anyone to be a better person even when she made mistakes. She could recall the sound of his voice while he was begging her to not die on him, the heartbreak and fear audible in each syllable of his words. It was something that kept her up the first night after she had heard it, tossing, and turning and wondering what she had done for Stiles Stilinski to be so adamant that she didn't die on him. It was something that she couldn't place because the only people that she could remember having that much faith in her before was her family. She wasn't even sure that Theo had that much faith in her after the last few weeks before he was sent underground.

The memories of him were locked away, hidden in the depths of her mind but his voice was as clear as day inside of her head. Sometimes she felt like she was losing her mind whenever his words would ring in her ears and make her pause but she often found herself searching out things that would bring that voice to the forefront of her mind. She felt that gaping hole inside of her chest widen each time that his voice rang in her ears, and she knew that if she didn't find him, not only for herself but for Lydia as well, both of them would surely spiral into a pit of sorrow.

They needed to find Stiles Stilinski for everyone's sake which was why Clarissa Bane hadn't objected to the road trip and forced herself into the backseat with Scott McCall. She had given Lydia a scathing look when the boy had warily slid into the backseat with her, and Clarissa had made sure to push herself up against the door as far as she could to avoid touching the other teenager. It had grown hard though when the boy had fallen asleep and sprawled out in the backseat with his feet barely brushing against her legs.

"Are we there yet?" Clarissa asked softly as she realized the car was starting to slow down and she couldn't help but feel a stab of pride for Malia Tate for how well she had adjusted to driving. It was a vast difference compared to the beginning of the year when Malia could barely stay between the lines on the road or when she had almost crashed Theo's truck.