The day after

The 2 of them had to go back to school today.

Emu put her uniform on with her pink cardigan, twirling around in the mirror before heading off. She was excited to see all her friends, especially Mafuyu.

Mafuyu woke up tired, but not as grumpy or sad as usual. She felt happy and pleased.

Emu waited by the school gate for her friends to arrive. As Haruka walked in through the gate, Emu practically tackled the poor girl. 

"HARUKA-CHAN!!"

"Ah! Hi Emu-chan!"

"Wow!!! Is that a new penguin pin on your school bag?!"

"Yes!! Minori and I went out yesterday and got it for me!"

"THATS SO WONDERHOY!! Where did you go?!"

"The aquarium!"

"WHATT?!? I WENT ON A DATE THERE YESTERDAY!!"

"Really?! We stayed in the penguin exhibit for a very long time so that might be why you didn't see us."

"Yeah!! Me and Mafuyu-chan stayed near the dolphins for a while!" Emu was all giggly and excited.

"Wait...Mafuyu..? WAIT YOU WENT ON A DATE WITH HER?!"

"Yeah!! Well uh...I considered it a date I don't know about Mafuyu though..hehe.."

"That's cool!!"

The 2 girls continued chatting for awhile talking about their weekends more. Suddenly Mafuyu came up behind Emu. Emu jumped and turned around with fear, although she relaxed a bit when she saw Mafuyu. 

"Haha..sorry Emu."

"HI MAFUYU-CHAN!" 

Emu hugged Mafuyu excitedly.

Mafuyu giggled a bit then turned their attention to Haruka.

"Ah, what's your name?"

"I'm Kiritani Haruka! You're Asahina right? Emu-chan told me a bit about you!"

"Oh..? Well it's nice to meet you."

There was a bit of an awkward silence. Everyone just stood staring at each other. Fortunately, Saki came and broke the silence. 

"Hey Emu-chan!! Hey Haruka-chan!!"

Saki waved to her friends until she noticed Mafuyu.

"Oh are you Emu-chan's girlfriend?!"

"EH!? SAKI-CHAN!! SHE'S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND?!?!"

Emu started turning red and for once was a little bit mad.

Saki just made everything even more awkward than before. Emu stared her down, not even blinking. Saki felt intimidated at first, but stared at Emu back.

Kohane walked up and was about to say something, but Haruka shook her head in fear, and Kohane took the sign and left. Haruka slowly slipped away too, leaving Saki, Emu, and Mafuyu.

Mafuyu decided to finally break the silence. 

"The bell for first period will ring soon, we should all get to our classes."

Saki put up 2 fingers and pointed them at her eyes, and then at Emu's as a sign 'I'm watching you'. Saki meant it in a joking manner but Emu took it a bit seriously. Saki ran off to go hang out with her other friends before school started.

Emu sighed, and realized she had been clinging on to Mafuyu this entire time. She looked at Mafuyu's face though but she wasn't faking her smile or anything, in fact she looked quite comforted despite how awkward their situation was.

"Umm..Mafuyu-chan?"

"Yes Emu?"

"Would you like to eat lunch together?"

"Oh! Yes that would be nice. My friends have a different lunch time than me so I've been a little bit lonely."

"Wonderhoy!!"

The bell rang and Emu gave Mafuyu one last squeeze before running off to her class, Mafuyu soon leaving to go to her own.