🇳🇬 | Chapter 002

When you also told him, without prompting, that Kitan was always with you after school because Lukumon.

couldn't care for her while job-hunting, you realised it was untrue- Lukumon hadn't actively searched for a job in months, and spent his days idling at home.

After you finished speaking, Ehi said, "If he doesn't mind, he can send me his CV through you, and I'll see what I can do. Let me know what he decides." "Oh, thank you, sir."

"Please stop that. Call me Ehi." At home, you told Lukumon about your conversation with Ehi, and asked for a copy of his CV. You were disappointed he didn't seem enthused. "Okay," he said absent-mindedly.

"When will I get it?" "Isi, you can see that I'm about to get on a queue to use the toilet. I need to get there before Ngozi messes up the place with her smelly shit.

After that, I'll queue to take a bath. I hope I don't go in after that useless Alao who uses two hours to bath." "Okay, my husband. Give it to me when you finish."

"I have heard." When two weeks passed and he hadn't given you the CV, you wrote one out for him, went to a business centre to get it typed and printed, and gave it to Ehi.

You didn't mind doing such things for Lukumon because, generally, he was a good man to you, just a bit lazy. When you gave Ehi the CV, he studied it carefully. "I think I can fix your husband in somewhere in my company." Then, he looked intently at you. "What about you, Isioma?" "What about me, how?" "Do you want a job?"

"Not really, because it won't give me time to take care of Kitan. I want to take her to school and pick her up every day." "So, you're going to do this business forever?" "God forbid." You looked away.

Then, because you'd grown too comfortable with him, you shared a plan you hadn't even told Lukumon. "If I save enough money, I hope to open a grocery store to sell food items.

There isn't one in my neighbourhood, so I should have an advantage. I can get good produce from suppliers I know in Mile 2 Market. Plus, I'll be closer to home and Kitan." You shrugged and sighed, "But it's just a dream for now." "How much does your dream cost?" You took a long pause before you answered. "I did a costing last month.

Rent, furniture, and first stock came up to almost eight hundred thousand naira." His face was impassive when he said, "Isioma, you're a beautiful woman. I want to help you but, I'm also human and selfish.

So, here is my offer-I will give your husband a job in my company. And, I will give you two million naira. All I want in return is you spend this weekend alone with me in Osogbo.

I'm going there for some business. Yes, this is a proposition. If you agree, you don't have to see me again after the weekend if you don't want to. If you reject my offer, I'll understand. But, I suggest you think about it first."

How dare this man insult you? "Sir," your tone was cold, "please don't buy anything from me again. I'm a married woman. My husband is man enough for me, and I'll never cheat on him. You've insulted both of us and -"

"It's an offer, not an insult," he deadpanned. Then, his voice softened, "You have my number, Isioma. Think about it." As he drove off, you felt a tear run down your cheek. You went home early.

You were still fuming when you told Lukumon about Ehi's proposition. You expected his rage to match yours, thunder to your lightning, but he stayed silent for a long moment.

Finally, he asked, "Isn't that the man who gave Kitan two hundred dollars?" "Yes." "Foolish rich man." "Yes." Lukumon stood, grabbed a rumpled t-shirt from the clothes hanger, and pulled it over his head. It was the sign he was going out to play draughts with some of the men in the neighbourhood. He paused by the door,