darkness

☆.。.:*.。.:*☆

The crew had decided that the nearing land would be the best place to rest for the night. Estelle very much so desperate for a good sleep, something that came easily to her in Narnia. She found herself following Caspian around like a lost puppy since she currently didn't have Edmund to entertain her when the former was occupied. He didn't mind of course, he took every opportunity to look at her and admire the features that she had grown into.

He noticed that, even though she'd only been here for a maximum of 24 hours, her once gaunt face already seemed to blossom into one full of life. The familiar rose tint reappearing under her milky-way of freckles. He'd allowed her to settle down in a patch of grass before nonchalantly placing himself beside her.

After an hour at most, the majority of the group had fallen into a much needed slumber, everyone except the two teenagers. He caught a glimpse of her secretly shivering under the harsh blackness of the night.
"Stella? Are you awake?" He questioned, his tone hushed as to not disturb his men. Caspian already knew the answer of course.
"Hm." The girl hummed not wanting to expose her shakiness through her voice.
"You're cold." He stated bluntly.

Was she really that transparent? He was right in the assumption, the chill of the breeze preventing her body from fully committing to sleep. It crept in and met with the warmth of her blood, her body's only defence. She believed that if she kept her eyes clenched shut, her system would eventually succumb to the tiredness that tugged at her eyes, yet it had been an hour and little progress was made.
"A little, I'll be fine."
"Here." He offered, stretching his arm out to demonstrate his intent. No response.

"Only if you want to." He quickly continued, embarrassed by the lack of acknowledgment and not wanting to pressure her. There was no reply from Estelle again. The real reason behind her silence being her fighting the urge to smile like an idiot. Instead of agreeing with words, she shuffled over to his extended arm and gently lowered herself close to him. Her head instinctively fell on his chest and the radiating body heat vibrated her own.
"Thank you."

Now it was Caspian's turn to remain quiet. He too was refusing a response as he kept his head glued towards the moon, a goofy grin wedged onto his mouth with no intention of fading. With the rhythmic thumping of his heart and the slow rise and fall of his breaths, she peacefully drifted off, the content smile not disappearing from her face the whole time. It was easy for her. It felt right to lay like this with him. That was the truth, being with Caspian was simple and came like second nature. Although she didn't know why yet, being in his company made her feel unlike anything she'd ever experienced.

Unbeknownst to Estelle, he'd felt the exact same. She felt familiar and like home to him, and he'd be damned if he was going to let her leave his side again like last time.

The navigator was the first to stir, he hadn't slept that thoroughly in years

The navigator was the first to stir, he hadn't slept that thoroughly in years. Immediately becoming aware of the slight weight on his chest, he scanned his surroundings and counted one less body than the night before. Everyone was present except... Lucy. He shook Estelle awake reluctantly, hating to disturb her when she looked so safe and peaceful where she lay.