Chapter 10

"Virginia, over here." All eyes were on her as she approached the table, Melody's included but the look came in the form of a glare. "I saved you a seat." The seat just happened to be across from Tamara, who happened to be seated next to Melody.

Virginia greeted everyone then took the reserved seat. "We ordered already but I ordered for you." Alti knew her well enough to know what she would want and she was correct and before she could inquire about something to drink, Alti summoned the waiter over and ordered a long island ice tea.

"Thank you."

"Now that that's out of the way," Alti leaned in close to Virginia, "why is Melody so interested in you?"

"Interested in me?"

"She asked me a million questions about you last night. She claimed that she was being a good best friend to Tamara by checking you out but I feel like there's more to it."

"I don't think so." There was, she knew but she couldn't tell Alti that it was jealousy. "But just don't tell her about the whole pretend girlfriend thing, please."

"I didn't but why shouldn't I?"

"Because she doesn't want Melody to feel sorry for her that she's still single when she's getting married." She was surprised at how quickly she came up with the lie. "You know how some women are."

Alti seemed to have accepted the lie and cast a look over to Tamara. "But why bring you if she's in the closet?" Apparently, Melody told Alti that Tamara was in the closet and her sexuality should remain a secret. "It doesn't make sense."

"I know. I said the same thing." Virginia's eyes met Tamara's fully for the first time since she arrived. She had been avoiding the brown eyes staring at her because she was afraid that Tamara would be angry but she seemed confused more than anything. "Let's change the subject."

Even though the table was wide enough, the restaurant noisy and they were whispering, it was too close for comfort to discuss the woman sitting across from her.

Alti accepted the change in topic and diverted the conversation on Virginia's plans for later that evening. She was upset that Virginia avoided her the night before and proposed that Virginia could find some way to make it up to her later.

Virginia found a way to wiggle out of that conversation, but as the night progressed, Alti's hand beneath the table grew bold and found residence on Virginia's thigh. Virginia didn't mind it, not with the two glasses of Long Island Ice Tea coursing through her. By her third drink, Alti's hand was much further up her thigh and it was continuing its ascent. Then, Alti leaned in, her chest pressed against Virginia's side, her lips close to her ear. "Excuse yourself to the bathroom and I'll meet you there."

Virginia wasn't sure if her face was giving away her arousal but she attempted to cover it with a sip of her drink. When she refused to move, Alti's fingers grazed the mound underneath her pants and she shot up from her seat. "Excuse me."

Virginia made a quick getaway to the bathroom and waited for Alti to follow but it was Tamara that followed instead.

"Are you okay?" She asked stepping into the bathroom. "You got up pretty fast."

"I'm fine." Virginia washed her hand as if she had used the bathroom. "No need to worry about me."

The statement seemed to offend Tamara, who was genuinely concerned but she overlooked the comment. "I thought I told you that you didn't have to come tonight."

"You told me Melody wouldn't like it. She seems perfectly fine to me with you sitting so close to her." Virginia was aware she sounded bitter but the alcohol in her system and the way she felt about Tamara was not helping.