Chapter 15

The story wasn't over yet, that Virginia was sure of. Melody was still waiting in the wings, seething and plotting against her and their relationship despite being two years into her marriage. In that time, Tamara and Melody hadn't seen each other, at least as far as Virginia was aware but Virginia knew that the two friends continued to talk to each other when she wasn't around.

Talking was fine, as long as that's all it was and she trusted Tamara; it was Melody she didn't trust. How could she when she explicitly told Virginia that she would never let Tamara go?

And she saw why. Tamara had been worth it, day after day, Virginia had seen just how 'worth it' she had been and that giddy feeling remained, which also prompted Virginia to make the same vow that she too wouldn't let Tamara go, not without a fight.

Would it ever get to that point, fighting? She hoped not, for she feared that she wouldn't win against Melody. That insecurity would be the end of a truly special relationship, she was certain and though she was ninety percent confident of Tamara's feelings for her, a part of her wasn't convinced that Tamara was one hundred percent positive of her assuredness when it came to her feelings for Virginia.

Virginia had said, 'I love you' first and Tamara professed them two weeks later. Of course, the delay had Virginia's mind in a frenzy of self-doubt as she waited to hear the three words back; had Tamara needed time to convince herself of her own feelings, had she given the relationship a second thought or had Melody gotten into her head and her heart again? Then the words came and Virginia was okay, she allowed herself to breathe easy and enjoy everything she was feeling; happiness, love, and Tamara's arm around her as they slept.

The doorbell ringing aroused her from sleep but she didn't move for a number of reasons; she didn't want to disrupt the closeness between them, it was far too late at night for visitors, and it was not her door to answer. Tamara, on the other hand, wasn't aware of her reasons and rolled out of bed to answer the door. As she made her way out of the room, her phone rang and turned back to answer it.

"It's Melody," she announced to Virginia, who was now sitting up, watching her, and answered the call. A few seconds later, she ended the call. "She's outside." Her body language reflected her hesitation and she looked to Virginia for consent that Virginia gave. "I'll be right back."

Virginia hung back for a few seconds before she tiptoed out of the room to eavesdrop on the reunion. Tamara was asking Melody her reason for being there by the time Virginia found a good vantage point.

"I needed to see you." Melody reached out to hug Tamara, which she allowed. "I've missed you." The hug lingered with Melody's face in Tamara's neck and the closeness burned Virginia. "Didn't you miss me at all?"

"Virginia's here."

Tamara put distance between them by stepping out of the hug and the act visibly hurt Melody. From the expression on Melody's face, Virginia wasn't sure if it was Tamara's lack of an answer to the question or the knowledge of Virginia's presence that bothered Melody more.

"You're still with her?"

"Don't do that. You know that I am."

"How long are you going to keep this up?"

"How's John?" Tamara put the question to her, neglecting to answer the one Melody asked first.

"I don't want to talk about John."

"I think we should."

"Why?"

"Because you have to remind yourself that you chose him and not me."

"Fine! I know what you want me to say. You want me to say that I made a mistake marrying him. Is that what you want to hear? Will that make you happy?"

"If you think that would make me happy then you don't know me at all."