Chapter 7 The struggle between patricians and plebeians and the victories

During the republican period, the clash between the patricians and the plebeians was famous;  the latter discarded by politics, they were also obliged to fight in war without receiving compensation from the patricians.
Therefore they develop a hatred that leads to two revolts: the first, in 494 BC.
The tribunes of the plebs, who could not propose laws but block contrary ones, gathered on the Aventine hill, refusing to serve the patricians and thus obtaining a new magistracy;
later, in 451, the laws are posted on tables and exposed to the public.
Rome has reported numerous military victories.
It begins to expand as early as the third century BC, reunifying Italy.  They fight against the Gauls, the Samnites and the Greek colonies to the south.
Subsequently, the expansion begins by extending the dominion over Carthage thanks to the three Punic Wars, to Spain, Macedonia, Greece and Asia Minor.
The first goes from 264 to 241 BC, where the Romans are forced to use ships and wrested Sicily from the enemy;
The second war sees the brave Hannibal as the protagonist, who tells me he managed to surprise and defeat the Romans by crossing the Alps with a mighty army and elephants and defeating them in Canne in 216.
Despite this, the Romans take back Spain thanks to the battle of Zama in 202.
In the third and last Punic war, in 149, Carthage surrenders.
Rome has perhaps one of the brightest and most well-organized armies in the world.
Small note to remember for the article:
I am with the consul Claudio Tito Priscilla, a plump man with gray hair in a clump.
In addition to my fellow soldiers, I am also visiting the state in which the war machines are;
the simplest is the ram, a long pole reinforced with an iron tip.  He explains to me that it is used to create a huge gap in the walls or doors.
Then there are also the crossbows to throw the spears and the catapults to hurl the boulders.
The core of the Roman army, on the other hand, is made up of the legions.
In the monarchical age there were three thousand three hundred soldiers while six thousand in the republican age.
Each legion is divided into ten courts of six hundred soldiers;
each court is divided into three groups of two hundred men and only the tenth part is made up of knights.
Wars bring prosperity, but this is enjoyed only by the rich and that is why the Gracchi brothers take the field to defend the rights of peasants and small landowners, presenting an agrarian reform that fails.
Then there is a civil war * and the crisis of the Republic.

* War that is fought between citizens of the same country;  it has very violent characteristics.  When peace returns it is difficult to extinguish divisions and revenge