Chapter 11 A new friend

During my long stay in Rome, I also made some beautiful friendships and among these, I remember with pleasure the one with Lucilla, an aristocrat who made me meet Cesare.
You are a person with whom you can talk about any topic and you always know how to respond;
she is very cultured and for her time she is a woman of considerable importance:
she is a lawyer, writer and philosopher but she is also involved in astronomy.
In our long walks in her garden before lunch, she tells me about the woman's condition.
The Roman woman lives in a condition of inferiority compared to the man, on whom she always ends up depending.
She is also subjected by her father, who decides for her who she should marry, even if very young, and by her brother or even by her eldest son, if widowed.
In case of adultery, the husband decides on her life.
She has no rights, she only has the duty to procreate.
His education is based on modesty and confidentiality.
She must also take care of the children and household chores;
only in the imperial age, she will be able to assert herself by obtaining rights, but I cannot reveal it to her.
Back to us…
Lucilla is actively involved in defending all women, but it is quite a daunting task, as she used to say.
She is a married lady in her forties and she has an eighteen year old son;
she has very regal attitudes and was the only person able to get me to open up.
She always wears beautiful dresses, but my favorite is the long blue sleeveless one.
She has hazel hair and two emerald green eyes, a pink mouth with a dazzling smile and a regular nose.
"So all these injustices that the woman has to suffer, pushed you to defend her?"
"Injustice and work aside, I strongly believe that we all must have the same rights and duties: men and women; in a particular way I made this choice, after listening to the heartbreaking story of one of my clients."
In her eyes, as she speaks, I notice a veil of restlessness but also of courage and determination;
"Sorry but now I have to continue my journey, I don't want to, but I have to reluctantly say goodbye. Thanks for everything, really."
"Don't worry, I understand ... goodbye."
I will always carry it in my heart, I promise.