Chapter 5

You lay down on your bed, staring up at the ceiling with a blank expression as you wait for Bill.

When the two of you got back from that restaurant, you felt a lot better, but you are worried about falling asleep. You are afraid of any nightmares that might plague you after what you had seen and experienced. Regrettably, you have already let your imagination run rampant of things you might get nightmares about: Bill's body turning around with mangled limbs as it is possessed by another entity, Bill turning against you as you turn out to be the one being possessed by that creature, you being the one getting eaten - you know these things are unreasonable, and Bill would never do such things to you, but that does not stop you from wondering what your dreams have in store for you when you close your eyes. You know that he also would never just attack you like that, and he tore that ghoul a new one because it was attacking you... well, presumably. He seemed a little too eccentric when he was eating that ghoul alive, so maybe there was more than one reason behind it, but your point probably still stands... maybe. Bill is kind of an unpredictable nutcase, but it is not as if you have room to talk with your search history and abnormal interests, though you do not believe you could ever be on par with his eccentricity.

Sometimes, you just have nightmares of real ridiculous stuff, even of things you were not even worried about in the first place, so you would not be shocked if you had a nightmare tonight about this afternoon's events. Despite nightmares coming quite rarely to you, you are a little nervous about falling asleep, though that does not stop you from trying to get some shut-eye. It is ironic how you are currently more shook by the prospect of a nightmare than of what happened.

You suddenly feel this familiar draft and get the sense that Bill is here in the room, so you focus your eyes again, and lo and behold, you see him floating over your bed with that mild yellow glow radiating from his body.

Bill has his hands on his sides as he looks down at you, "Hey." He smoothly floats down in another slick dip from where he was idle in the air, and ruffles your hair with playful vigor, "Yeesh, you look paler than the ghost that hijacked my vessel. There's no reason to be shaken up like some loose autumn leaf," he stops ruffling your hair, "Relax, I wouldn't let a body-snatching nobody like that get you, alright?" He seems to be emphasizing how he is the reason why you were not attacked - it is just a feeling you get. Despite this, you do not antagonize him in favor of trying to tidy your hair by pushing locks and lazily raking your scrawny fingers through your hair, although you struggle to do so against the waves of knots built up and the obnoxious frizziness your hair has contracted.

You quietly exhale out a sigh through your nose as you stop your tampering with your hair and look up at Bill, "They can't possess me though, right...?" Just the thought of it makes you visibly cringe.

"You've been listening to too many horror stories. Those who can freely possess people like that, and to such an extent, are real rare. You don't need to worry about something like that happening to you unless you go looking for them or tick one of them off," he gives you a look that you cannot pinpoint the intention of, though you believe it is like he is half-heartedly scolding you in advance as if you would go out and tick some ill-tempered ghost off (well, that actually does sound like something you would do, but you probably would not try it without him backing you up), "Even then, the ones like that ghoul that saw their opportunity are hard to come across. That was just a coincidence - it probably won't happen again, though an empty body does increase the chances of that happening since it is rather tempting..."

"So is it rare or is it likely," you try and mellow your worried tone a bit, "with your empty body?"

 He sighs and rolls his eye, "Less rare, but still very rare," he stretches his little arm and pats you on the back of your shoulder a couple of times with a gregarious force despite his annoyance with your prodding for a long explanation, "A big-fish moron like the one that we encountered randomly wandering around like that and happening to come across my empty vessel was just one of those rare things in life. Trust me: possessing a living and occupied person forcefully is hard, even for someone like me. Some people are much easier to forcefully possess, while others are almost impossible. I'm not sure which you are since I haven't tried, but I doubt you're easy prey," he mildly flashes a half-hearted grin with his eye, "besides, inhabiting my empty body jacked up on testosterone is much more tempting than wrestling with some snotty estrogen-ridden, human girl just to have their weak little occupied body." A smile threatens to creep up on you, but is overridden by your lingering, half-defeated worry.