Chapter 7

Groggy, you gingerly lift your head up with squinted eyes and notice that it appears as though everyone is done taking the test, and the teacher collects the packets and sheet strips where students bubble in their answers to each question. Bill slides back into view and you look at him for a second with a muzzy face before sluggishly rubbing your eyes and trying to seem as if you had not just fallen asleep in the middle of class, though you are quite sloppy at it and it is probably pretty obvious. Hopefully, your teacher has nothing to say about it, though you do catch a glimpse of Bill looking at you with an amused look in his eye as he snorts at your expression.

The test was not really that taxing, but it was nice to have Bill there to help ease your worry over your grade. No one really had to write much or cough up an essay since this class is just forensics class, though Bill was the one who dragged you into taking forensics even though he usually does not care for which classes the two of you take (you are not quite so sure why he wanted you to take this class along with advanced psychology, but he was rather pushy about it). You enjoyed this class, though; especially when you got to learn about interesting murder cases, like the ricin umbrella case, and other gruesome yet interesting facts about bodies and decease. You feel morbid for that fact, but science really just has this deep aspect of luring intrigue that you cannot help but get pulled into sometimes. Bill either pulls you into science further or scares you away from it, from giving interesting stories to disturbing ones that make you want to sow his mouth shut, but he would probably just eject himself from his body and continue to blab in disturbing detail from the mindscape if you tried to physically silence him.

The room grows loud and kids start grouping back together with friends and desk mates, whilst you just sit there, whip out your phone after feeling mostly awake again, and go to the writing app you installed a while back to have a one-sidedly silent conversation with Bill. You are surprised he has stuck around this long, but he seems less irritated now that the two of you no longer need to pretend as if you are innocently sitting there and taking a final exam without a peep. He probably is not thrilled that he is doing the same thing with you tomorrow for your other two finals, so hopefully your other teachers will let you sleep as well as a good distraction for the both of you.

The two of you just sit there and converse a bit, you texting, him reading and responding, and just chit-chatting about what the two of you will do after tomorrow when you have the next few months free. That is, until one of the three other kids who sat at your table with you since the beginning of the second semester of the year walks up to you.

His name is Quinten, and he is a short boy with red rimmed glasses, common brown eyes and silky chocolate skin, and dark black hair that has been recently cut almost military style, but without so lacking of hair on the sides of his head and the puffiness of his hair still noticeable. He is wearing a blue short-sleeved shirt with some kind of logo or symbol on it that you think may be from Harry Potter and khakis shorts with pockets that seem baggy at the ends as he probably got the wrong size. His sneakers seem slightly worn but apparently were bought with sports in mind, though he never seemed to join any sports clubs or teams as he lost interest for some reason.

Quinten and you often talked about video games and TV shows or drama on the internet, and he was the one who set the foundation of your interest to get into various franchises that you never previously paid attention to that have been long overdue due to your dedicated absorption in other subjects - big titles that everyone has heard of but not everyone has watched, like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. Meanwhile, you got him into manga, but he never liked the dramas you recommended to him. Perhaps it was because he cannot relate well to a female protagonist, and the dramas you recommended to him all had female protagonists. You would say that might also be why Bill was never interested, but it seems he just is never in the mood for those kinds of shows, as he said he was around for all of that and had seen enough of it. Bill had also said something about nobility society being one of the most boring and oppressing eras he can think of off the top of his head despite the deep romanticism and advertised enthralling power of being one of the nobles, but he will always hate Soviet Union style communism the most as he says it is the most obnoxiously dull of them all. Honestly, you had already expected of him to loathe and show distaste for communism anyway - communism is the blunt opposite of everything Bill Cipher. Bill does watch dramas with you now and then though - if not to simply sit there and make fun of everything you are watching, then to have something to occupy his dull free time when he cannot think of much else to do.