Human culture

Year 2

Mikey and Sirani sat on the floor, decorating an upside down box.

Mikey colored the flaps green while Sirani drew crooked lines on the actual box.

"Turtle turtle turtle!" They chanted as they drew.

Splinter had sat himself in front of the tv, telling the younger two to go entertain themselves. A single rat dad needed a break every now and then.

  "What are you two doing." Donnie asked, raising a brow from his spot on the couch. He flipped a page of the scrounged National Geographic without taking his eyes off them. "I'm trying to read."

   "Turtle shell!" Sirani exclaimed. "For me!"

  "That won't actually protect you, you know." He flipped through another page, absorbing the information. "You'd need something harder than cardboard."

  The two ignored him.

She attempted to connect the lines on the top but wasn't big enough to reach.

So she climbed onto the box, sitting on the top.

  There was tape.

  Surely it would hold.

  "Why do you even want a shell anyway?" Donnie continued. "It's not going to make you a turtle."

Sirani stood up. "Marker."

Mikey handed the black marker to her and continued his work.

"Seriously, why do you want it?"

  "Like you." She answered, crouching to connect the lines on the box. "Turtle."

  "You're not a turtle though!" He exclaimed as he set his magazine down. "You can't just change what you are."

  "Can so." She argued back.

  "Really. Do tell." He slid off the couch.

  "Magic."

  "Magic isn't real."

  "Is."

  "It's not!"

  "Yes it is!" Mikey joined in. "Sirani can do it!"

  "Not this again." Donnie pinched the bridge of his nose. "That was a lie you told dad!"

  "No!"

Sirani didn't remember doing any sort of Magic. Leo was the one that could do Magic.  Not her.

   "Dad says stop being loud!" Raph announced before he came into the room. "And he says Donnie needs to stop being mean."

  "I'm not being mean!" Donnie shouted. "I'm being realistic!"

  "Mean." Mikey accused.

  "Mean!" Sirani agreed.

  "I am not!"

  "Donnie's being mean!" Leo called out, joining them. "Dad! Put him in the corner!"

  "Red! Handle this! Be a good big brother." Was all Splinter offered. He wasn't about to miss his favorite commercial for another fight.

   Sirani ignored the bickering and continued on the turtle shell. They'd let her play their games with her once it was done.

"It's not real! Why is no one agreeing with me? I'm right!"

"It's not real but let them pretend! Sirani! Get down from there! You'll fall!" Raph raced over and attempted to pull her off but he got swiped at with a marker.