Chapter 32

((slightly longer update as promised 😌✨ lemme know what yall wanna see happen. Also im not sure what year they're even in anymore, probably 6th?, but imma go ahead and insert Umbridge for plot purposes :). Also, speeches/quotes are altered some because memory suck. will update tomorrow!))

"I am very excited to see so many new faces here at Hogwarts this year," Dumbledore began his yearly speech. "As for news and changes in the school this year, I am pleased to introduce a new Defense professor. Coming from the Ministry of Magic, Delores Umbridge." He gestured to the side to reveal a short and plump, pink clad woman.

He opened his mouth to speak again and was instantly interrupted by said woman. "I am hoping to be all of your friends. This year, let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." She spoke with a clarity in her words that chilled Harry.

Harry risked a glance at the Slytherin table to find Draco, and when he made eye contact they both knew they'd interpreted the same thing. "She's mad!" Ron whispered to the group and Hermione nodded carefully, eyes watching the lady.

"Furthermore, I will be monitoring classes closely. We have much work to do. I look forward to seeing you all in classes!" She finished and Dumbledore sighed. "Well put. Now, we will eat!" And food appeared on the tables.

So they started to fill their plates. Harry, however, was feeling very off after the night's events. "Mate, you good? You didn't eat much." Ron asked through a mouthful of chicken. Hermione looked up at Harry, and then Ron. "I'm sure he's fine." She said after a moment of eye contact with Harry. "He doesn't normally eat much anyway." She added and Harry mentally thanked her. It's true, he didn't normally eat much. After growing up with Dudley's leftovers for dinner, which there weren't many of because Dudley is Dudley, it was still hard for him to eat as much as he should.

Tonight though he was less hungry. He felt very off, very distant, and very worried. Harry wasn't paranoid, per say, but after everything he's had to endure it would make sense if he were. "Yeah man, I just ate too many sweets beforehand." He grinned and Ron pursed his lips slightly. "Okay mate." He agreed after a second and they continued to eat.

"I'm going to go to bed, try not to blow up the dorm on the first night." Harry said as he crawled into bed. "I'll make no promises!" Finnegin said with a smile and Harry rolled his eyes, rolling to his side and drifting off.

——NOW WE IN THE SLYTHERIN DORMS— (A/N, I think originally Harry was supposed to be in Slytherin, but highkey gonna switch it back. We can say it is because of the past issues.) 

"Malfoy!" Theo called for the third time. "Hm?" Draco answered absentmindedly. "Where you been? You don't seem all there. Is this about the new professor?" Knott asked and Draco shrugged. "Sorta. She gives me the creeps." He wasn't lying, but he was more than just creeped out. He, for the first time ever, no longer felt safe at Hogwarts. Not only was the woman crazy, but she knew his father. It was terrifying to think she would be giving him reports on his behavior. "Don't worry about her. We have other things to do, like quidditch or homework or parties." Blaise suggested and Pansy stuck her head into the room. "Ooh! We haven't had a party in forever it feels like. Let's throw one this Halloween! Make it exclusive. Not just Slytherins, but people we find worthy." She giggled and Draco felt a smile begin to form. Parties were always fun, but Slytherin hosted parties? Nothing could beat those. 

"Yes! We'll have fairywine and firewhisky and lots of snacks. Nothing messy though. We can hold it in the common room, it is open enough and looks into the Great Lake! I know a fantastic spell to charm lights a deep blueish green color." She continued and Draco flopped into bed. "Do whatever. I really just want a break and some sleep." He muttered and the boys laughed. "sure mate, get your beauty sleep. We all know you need it." Blaise teased and was greeted with a jelly-legs hex that he barely blocked. 

It wasn't unusual for them to sleep with their curtains closed. Several times one would wake up to a prank being pulled or item stolen, so they had all learned to charm their drapes shut at night. Draco was glad for this for two reasons: 1. Potter. 2: Potter. The git had years ago been rumored to have crept in to 'investigate what he's up to,' and it was creepy. Probably just a rumor, but no risks would be had. Potter was another reason for very different purposes.