VIII

"Felton, make your focus right

"Felton, make your focus right. Half an inch forward and adjust the lighting. Yeah, like that. Remember, students, the background is most important. You cannot click pictures with a toilet in the background, right?"

There were a few giggles in the back, but when Professor Anderson turned back, the sounds of giggles died down, and everyone paid attention to what the professor was saying.

"If you have a pet and want to take a picture of it, would you want toilets, trash cans, large piles of laundry, and dirty dishes in the background?"

"Remember, everything happens in a mere moment, and in that mere moment, you have to find the perfect angle and lighting and consider the background. Any slight imperfection can change the meaning of what you want to convey."

"Trash cans could be a good background," a male voice interrupted.

"Leo, tell us all how a trash can could be a good background?" Professor asked him, hoping that Leo could answer as an actual photographer would, embracing the imperfection.

"It is true that imperfection can change the meaning of an image, but a new meaning can be better than what we want to convey. Trash cans do not look pleasant as backgrounds, but a simple trash can could show emotions that are completely hidden. A stray cat feeding from a trash can shows us her destitute life, her necessitation. If it's a child or an elderly looking for food with hope, I would consider it perfect because it will stir our hearts."

"Imperfections can be perfect sometimes," Serra said.

"And that is why I need you all to carry your cameras most of the time. Show all of us your best and worst ones. We all will point out what more is needed there. Don't be scared of mistakes, but don't slack off and just click pictures randomly. I will listen to the inspiration and emotions behind your pictures. And yeah, your camera is your treasure. Take care of it. I have seen many people who say that they are photographers but don't clean their cameras or don't care about them much. Keep your camera safe."

Everybody nodded and went to fetch their bags. They were in the studio where the professor brought props for them to learn professional photography. Serra picked up her bag and walked out of her class. A message popped up on her phone.

"Where are you? Do you have class now?" Zerena.

"Just finished one."

"Can you meet me in front of the biology block? I'm hungry."

"Okay."

Serra replied and went to the west side of the university where the biology department is located. Zerena was waiting near the front stairs, eagerly waiting for her.

"Didn't the university take care of its topper's hunger?"

"Stop the sarcasm, Serra. The principal and professors gave us special classes, but not special food. My dad was right; cafeteria food sucks in this country."