Chapter One - The Book

Penelope could see the darkness illuminating beyond the window. She had lost track of time. Again, like always. Her head was lost in the book when she was consumed with the protagonist and their intense adventure. It wasn't but a moment ago that she was just studying the floating motes in the sunbeam. Her hand stretched out in attempt to collect any of the particles, but to no avail. The warmth from the sunlight did remind her that it wouldn't be long until the air would be crisp filled with colder weather and warmer clothes. Yet, she found comfort in her corner at the library.

              She was surrounded by the recognizable scent of books. It was an intoxicating smell of vanilla. Yes. Vanilla. It was no wonder she had a fond adherence to vanilla ice cream. Thinking of food prompted her stomach it was time to leave. As much as she wanted to continue reading, she pulled herself up from the plush leather chaise and headed for the exit doors.

              "Penelope!"

              Tim's voice echoed down the silent hall. She shrugged her shoulders and pinched her nose. She should have been used to his attentive behavior. He knew her too well, more than she wanted him too. But he was harmless. Soft in nature and stature, Tim only meant well. He was blessed with height, but he was very thin. His glasses hid his hazel eyes, a feature that she wished she had. Instead, Penelope had ordinary amber eyes.

              "Tim. You should know to lower your voice." Her whisper caused a jolt in Tim to halt.

              Four years as an employee at the library, Tim only broke the rules when around Penelope.

              "I'm s-sorry." His stutter appeared only when nervous. "I wanted to give you something before you left for the evening."

              He extended his hand out and held a piece of cloth that seemed to be covering a box.

              "What is it?" Penelope was curious and noticed the cloth was grossly distressed. Leather strings wrapped it several times, securing the cloth tightly. Somehow, she felt compelled to the item.

              "It's a book I found. It came in a cargo box donated to the library. It wasn't addressed to anyone, and it didn't say who it was from either. Donna said I could keep it if it didn't have a proper owner."

              The weight of the book must have been heavy because Tim's hand began to shake. Penelope decided to grab it from his grasp. She released the leather strings around the cloth as the cloth fell off the book like a waterfall finding its resting place. There was that familiar scent that Penelope learned to love. Vanilla - except it had a sweeter effect on her. Her senses seemed to all connect, and she could feel a sensation of warmth at her fingertips.

              The book cover was outdated. The scuffs around the corners were evident. There wasn't a title on the cover which very well didn't have to mean anything, but the spine didn't have a title either. She carefully opened the book not knowing how old it could be. The first page was empty. She flipped through the second page, and yet nothing. She could see remnants of writing, but no ink. She tried to make out what was written but the lighting was too dim. She tilted the book to get a better glare, and she was able to make out the first few words.

              "For Penelope . . . "

              "Tim! Penelope!"

              Donna's deep voice startled them both. Tim turned himself around to Penelope and closed the book. He wrapped the book up with the cloth and shoved it down Penelope's bag. His eyes opened wide and stared directly at Penelope. His lips went tight and thin. His attention then turned to Donna.