Chapter 15

"Subaru-kun," Hoshi called flatly.

"Hm?" he hummed, slowly turning around to face the girl calling him.

Hoshi waited until he fully faced her and snapped a quick photo of him before he could blink or register what was going on.

"I was wondering... You don't seem too close with your sister... Why is that?" the girl asked, snapping her transer closed.

Subaru batted his brown eyes and then rubbed his face exhaustively.

"Sister?" You mean Suyuri?" he asked, still not taking in the fact that she was indeed his twin sister.

"Errr... Yes.." she replied, sweat dropping. "I'm pretty sure I only know one of your siblings, if you had more than one..."

The boy just shrugged and leaned his head onto her table in a way that showed he lost some sleep just last night. Not really too surprising in Hoshi's opinion since he's nearly like that every day.

"Not close, huh? Hmmm, I don't believe her to be my twin sibling since I never even knew about her or knew if I had a sibling. I guess that's why," the boy replied just as flat.

"Oh, well, sorry I asked," the girl immediately said, thinking it was kind of a sensitive topic for the boy.

"No, no! Not at all, don't worry!" he said.

With a quick nod of her head, Hoshi opened her transer again and began looking at the pictures she took recently, comparing them side by side and studying every detail on each individual. From the face shape to the eye shape. From the eye shape to the hair color. From the hair color to the hair style. Technically, to put it short, everything. The girl lowered her eye lids a little, which managed to catch the boy in front of her's attention.

"Is something the matter?" Subaru asked curiously, pushing himself up right. "Are you not feeling well?"

Pink lashes flickered as the girl blinked her ocean blue eyes a few times, her eyes fluttering until it was opened wide again.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm alright. Sorry, just dozing of again."

"Doze?" Subaru repeated. "Again? You've never actually dozed off before, I don't think..."

And with that, the boy, sat up completely and leaned forward to touch the girl's forehead before touching his own. The girl immediately closed her transer and waited for him to pull away or at least say something.

"Hmmm, your temperature seems fairly normal... Did you lose sleep last night?" he finally asked.

"I could ask you the same thing," Hoshi chuckled lightly. "Yes, I did lose some sleep. You should also worry about yourself first before worrying about others."

The boy just replied with a guilty sounding laugh, rubbing the nape of his neck to match his tone. Hoshi sat still, but was flashing a calm and relaxed smile to her friend before opening her transer again to continue with the comparison.

"Say, Subaru-kun?" Hoshi called again, her eyes never leaving the screen of her device.

"Yes?"

The girl began to rethink about whether to ask or not, but decided to go and roll with the question. Her first and only thought so that he didn't get suspicious of her was to stay calm and play dumb.

"I wonder who Megaman really is..." she began, thinking small. "I'm pretty sure he can't suddenly appear out of nowhere into our world..."

That struck a string in the boy's chest, the thread being connected to his thoughts, bones, muscles, all that good stuff that made up a human's body and emotions.