Chapter Fifty Eight

[Lowell's POV] 

"Aren't you worried you'll get in trouble?" She asked. "I know people from the council are coming today. You promised to come."

"The person they're meeting is my father, not me."

"They want to meet the new alpha, you know that." She frowned at me.

"Why's that my business..." I grumbled.

She stared at me.

I gritted my teeth. "Look, maybe I should have made this clear. I don't want to be the next alpha in charge."

She blinked, surprised, then frowned deeply. "What?"

I sighed, grabbing my phone and slipping in my back pocket, ready to leave. With Mena's help I knew where to go, not the exact address, just a small radius around where Max's phone was last active. I didn't need to wait for more help, the minute I got close enough to catch his scent in the air I would be able to hunt him down.

"Mena, I don't like Bazile, the fucker's mental, I get that. I don't want him anywhere near my mate ever again and if he fucks with him I will kill him." I spoke calmly. "There won't be a conversation. He won't have a chance to tear off one of my fingers again." I exhaled. "But he's still an alpha. Dad trained him his entire life to take his place, to be the next him, when even Griffith didn't want that himself, whether he knows it or not. 

"What my brother needs is someone to train him how to be an alpha, not how to be our father."

Mena looked around, panicked that someone might have heard that. "Lowell..."

"I have a mate, I want to wake up in his bed with his stupid basil that needs watering and a carpet I'm not allowed to wear shoes on. I'm just trying to make sure my father doesn't execute Max, that and... Maybe there's a way to see him change, if not it's not the end of the world if Carrigan takes over."

"Change Bazile?" She sounded incredulous.

I sighed. It did sound impossible. His anger was so firmly rooted inside him he seemed to have lost all objectivity. And when he finally found his mate I had to hope they would be the most submissive person alive, or they might truly suffer under Bazile, with his current temperament and insecurity.

"Bazile and I had the same father, but we didn't get the same treatment."

She pondered that for a moment. "But... He got punished more because he was lazy, rebellious... actually he was a bully and you know that. Still is... I think." She glanced toward the door just to make extra sure there was no one around.

I sighed. "I don't want to be alpha." I said finally. "Bazile does."

"That doesn't-"

"Everyone fucking hates him here, dad hates him too, he's fucked in the head but there's a reason for it and if there's a reason maybe..." I clicked my tongue. "Look, I gotta go, thanks for your help Mena."

She nodded, pursing her lips, looking away shyly. "I won't tell anyone."

About my mate running away or that I didn't want to be alpha of the pack? 

"Thanks, Mena."

It wasn't like I didn't have a plan in mind, it was just simple. I'd go down there, take Max, he'd get pissed at me if I made it sound like I was doing something as disrespectful as disciplining him, I could already see his eyes narrowing, hear the words he might use in my head, but I'd bite him, just to make sure he didn't argue, and take him home.