1- Rock a baby on a river

一

"Lan Zhan, it's cold!" Wei Wuxian grumbled as he edged closer to the fireplace, almost touching the flames.

A moment later, Wei Wuxian felt something heavy draped around him. The man looked up to see his husband adjusting his outer white robes on top of him. Wei Wuxian grinned up cheekily at him.

"Aw, Lan Zhan, you don't have to! Just hug me and I'll feel a lot warmer." Wei Wuxian stood up and pushed Lan Wangji into a chair by the shoulders before plopping himself onto Lan Wangji's lap.

Lan Wangji obeyed and hugged him close. Wei Wuxian hummed in contentment, tracing along his husband's jawline with a teasing finger.

The couple was currently staying in a small cabin by the Luo River up in the north. The cabin, when they first arrived, was an abandoned one, very creaky and old with an entire clan of dust bunnies. Now it was still very creaky, but Wei Wuxian had chased all of the dust bunnies away. Well, most of it anyway.

"You know, Lan Zhan, I'm kinda hungry. Do you think I'll be able to find fish by the river? I'm suddenly craving grilled fish," Wei Wuxian spoke as the two sat idly by the small fireplace. The warm glow of the flames cast a shadow of the couple on the wall, and Wei Wuxuan felt cozy and relaxed in his husband's embrace.

Lan Wangji furrowed his eyebrows slightly- how can one find fish in the frigid waters of the Luo River? Even if there was, he does not wish for Wei Ying to go out in the freezing weather.

"You know, there must be fish in the river! I'm sure of it, Lan Zhan. I read somewhere that fish can survive in very cold waters! Here, I'll go outside and catch some fish. You stay here and prepare something to cook it with. And then tonight, we shall feast!" Wei Wuxian exclaimed happily.

To Lan Wangji's dismay, Wei Wuxian hopped out of his lap and went to get the fishing rod. Like a little rabbit, Wei Wuxian went from place to place in the cabin, grabbing everything he needed for fishing. That included a small cup of worms.

"Okay, cya, Lan Zhan! I'll be back soon!" Wei Wuxian opened the cabin door and blew Lan Wangji a kiss. Then he stepped out and shut the door.

A waft of cold wind the cabin, fluttering through Lan Wangji's hair, who was about to grow mushrooms under a gloomy cloud.

.

.
.

Wei Wuxian rubbed his hands together, letting out a puff of air. It turned into a cloud, condensed by the coldness in the air.

He looks for a good spot to fish, carefully moving in the snow. Peering into the clear cold waters, Wei Wuxian began to feel doubtful. There wasn't a single fish nor ripple in sight. The river was as calm and still as Lan Qiren meditating.

There wasn't a single life out here aside from leafless trees as far as Wei Wuxian can see. Seriously, there wasn't even a single bird in sight.

The whole scene was so motionless that one could have mistaken that time had stopped.

That was why it immediately caught Wei Wuxian's gaze when a small bundle of something drifted down the river.

"LAN ZHAN! HEAT A BUCKET OF WATER!!" Wei Wuxian hollered as he kicked down the wooden door with his boot.

Lan Wangji looked up from chopping onions on the cutting board. Hearing his husband's panic cry, he wasted no time grabbing a medium-sized bucket. Pretty soon, a warm bucket of water was available.

While Lan Wangji was heating the water, Wei Wuxian was walking hurriedly back and forth in the small cabin, a small bundle in his arms. The man had taken off the white outer robe Lan Wangji previously put on him and wrapped it around the bundle.

"Wei Ying," Lan Wangji said solemnly when the requested hot water was ready.

Wei Wuxian hurried over. Lan Wangji's eyes slightly widened when he got a glimpse of what was inside the bundle of clothes.

It was a baby.

A real-life baby, in flesh and breathing. Just barely.

Lan Wangji has some questions. But first, the baby needs care. And Wei Wuxian was about to dump the whole kid, robes and all into the water.

"..." Lan Wangji took the bundle from his Wei Ying.

Wei Wuxian blinked. "Oh, I guess you do it then."

"Mn."

Lan Wangji carefully bathed the baby while Wei Wuxian watched in fascination. The rosy colour of the baby's cheek was slowly returning.

After bathing, the baby was wrapped in a warm towel. Wei Wuxian 'ooh' and 'ah' over the adorable chubby face.

The baby, who was unconscious from nearly freezing to death, had at some point shifted into sleeping in the comfort of the warmth. And now it was stirring, about to wake up.

Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji didn't notice that they were holding their breath as the baby's eyelids slowly fluttered open.

A pair of warm starry eyes looked up at them sleepily.

A moment of silence passed as the baby and the adults' eyes met.

"Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian breathed. "He's so cute."

To be continued...

Mini Theatre:

Wei Wuxian: "Ohmygosh, what do I do?? Baby needs to be thawed!!"

Note: this ⬆️ is the man who buried his other son in the soil so that they'll grow taller.

Lan Wangji: "..."

Baby: "..."