2- Lan Luo

二

Wei Wuxian slammed his hands on the worn table.

He closed his eyes and said solemnly, "Lan Zhan, we got to go back to Cloud Recesses! We can't stay here, it's unfit for a baby! Lan Zhan, listen to me- oh, you're already packing."

Wei Wuxian opened his eyes to see Lan Wangji ready, holding the baby in his arms and a satchel of all their belongings swung over the shoulder. The baby was asleep, snuggly fit in the crook of Lan Wangji's arm. Their small hands clutched a fistful of the white pristine robes.

"Ready," Lan Wangji said with a stoic expression.

Wei Wuxian grinned. "Oh well then! Are we missing anything?" He looks around. There wasn't anything, the place was as empty as it could get.

"Alright then, let's go!" Wei Wuxian grabbed Lan Wangji's free hand and kicked open the front door. They stepped outside.

And not a moment too soon.

The cabin came crashing down behind them with a boom!

"..."

Turns out, the kick that Wei Wuxian had given to its door the day before along with the heavy snowfall from last night was too much for the already old and poor cabin. Perhaps it was only holding on to its four shuddering walls for the sake of the two and a half people inside. The moment they left, it lost its purpose to keep holding on.

Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian simultaneously turned and bowed to the collapsed building.

So around dawn, they began their journey back to Gusu.

With a baby in one hand and the other entwined with his husband's, interlocking fingers.

The baby woke up a few hours later, yawning softly, stretching his arms up. Then he blinked drowsily, rubbing an eye with a small fist, watching the view pass along from where he rested in the crook of Lan Wangji's arm.

Soon the couple was walking down a road lined with huge trees, abundant with flowers and leaves. It shades them from the sun; they have already left the cold north. Though Cloud Recesses was also in the north and very cold, it was not as intolerable and uninhabitable as the Luo River. They passed the views of rolling hills in the distance, a few houses here and there.

A leaf drifted down and smacked the baby right on the forehead. The baby blinked rapidly as Wei Wuxian gently peeled off the leaf, trying to keep in his laugh. He let out a small chuckle and the baby only stared at him with a gaping mouth.

"You are so cute," Wei Wuxian beamed. "Aren't you??" he cooed, using the leaf to tickle the baby's foot.

The little child gives no reaction for a moment before letting out a giggle, stretching out its hands toward Wei Wuxian, trying to grasp the leaf.