Chapter 7

"What is this?"

"It is a gift from His Majesty the Emperor himself."
When the court men thought Alexander had sent me something himself, I could only laugh in my head.

Of course, I thought it would be a letter of complaint about being too extravagant.

No matter how much you are the Emperor you cannot condone this, so it was at that time when my hope was rising that the divorce would be soon.

The courtiers began to pile things up on the living room table. Wrapped in luxurious fabrics, it was too much to be called a letter. It looked like a dozen on letters to be precise.

For it to be correspondence from, Alexander, all his letters must be encyclopedic.

I couldn't have written that much of a letter even if I tried but most of all what the hell is this?

Being puzzled, I instructed the maids to unpack the presents sent by the Emperor. And oh my, what came out of it...

"Oh my goodness!" the maids swooned.

The maids were more impressed by the feast of silk flowing smoothly like spring water over the table even more than I. Incredibly, they were dresses. These ridiculous luxuries are baffling.

"Oh, look at this jewel! I think there are about 600 gems in this dress!"

"What is the quality of this gold leaf on this dress?! I've never seen such a brilliant gold leaf in my life."

"I don't think it's heavy at all regarding the fact that it's used this much fabric!"

I had no choice but to open my mouth as the maids eagerly waited for my response.

I was admiring the dresses I brought, but when I saw these dresses, the ones I bought started to look relatively modest.

"These are custom-made garments ordered by His Majesty that he put his heart and soul into. This dress would cost a castle if I may add."

"One castle?"

The court lady nodded and I felt as if I had been struck in the head. Previously as a low-income earner, I had no sense of this reality so this was beyond shocking.

But no, not only me, but all these maids who are from noble families are awestruck, so this would never have been a common occurrence in the empire.

Just putting these ridiculously astronomical values of clothing in front of me made my breathing and my heartbeat erratic. I felt like I would not be able to forgive myself I would sweat on it or accidentally stretch it even a little bit.

But I couldn't reveal that. If I did, the image of the wicked woman cultivated through efforts so far would be destroyed.

So I desperately put on a calm composure. Luckily, I was used to hiding my emotions during my long career as a public servant and graduate student.

"I see, but why did His Majesty send me these?"

"There is a card that His Majesty has written himself, would you like to read it?" The palace man bent down and held out a card in a polite manner. 

I grabbed it swiftly and read it to find that the content was in beautiful handwriting, written in gold ink which was reminiscent of the color of his pupils.

Although I don't know if this would be a decent comparison of your eyes.

'I'd like to see you in this outfit the next time we meet' -Alexander