RA 8 - Pleasant

At Guan Wei's suggestion, Jiang Chijing followed him to take a look at Zheng Mingyi's house.

From the second that he stepped past the threshold, Jiang Chijing was utterly incapable of quietening his mind.

For a voyeur, the house of the person they secretly watched had an existence that was practically on the status of a 'sacred ground'. Even the air here was more precious than the air on Mount Everest.

Subconsciously, excitement surged across Jiang Chijing's heart, but this excitement quickly died out, for the owner of this house was now a convict, stepping down from the 'sacred altar'.

He shifted from excitement to a more complicated mood, and when he saw the complete disorder the house was in, his mood once more shifted from complicated to emotional.

The small objects that he was used to seeing through his monoculars were now strewn across the ground. God knows how much Jiang Chijing wanted to return them to their original positions.

"It is a little suspicious that the house has been ransacked to this state."

The two men came out of the house and took off the shoe covers on their feet. Guan Wei offered him a cigarette, but Jiang Chijing had already brushed his teeth and so he waved a hand, declining it.

"Didn't Zheng Mingyi say that he was holding onto clues?" Jiang Chijing said. "If that's true, then could the guy earlier be searching for them?"

"That's not impossible." Nodding, Guan Wei blew out a puff of smoke. "But if the clues really exist, where do you think he'll hide them?"

There was absolutely no way for him to have brought them into prison.

Every convict would be checked before entering prison, and not even a needle would be allowed in, let alone a memory card or suchlike.

"Maybe with his friends, I don't know."

Jiang Chijing understood Zheng Mingyi's lifestyle habits but not his interpersonal relations.

For example, he knew that Zheng Mingyi liked to sit on the left side of the sofa to watch television, but he didn't know how he would be if he had a friend over, because no one had ever come to Zheng Mingyi's house as a guest.

"Let's leave it at that for today. Tomorrow I'll ask my buds from the crime scene investigation unit to come over and take a look," Guan Wei said.

"Can't you formally file the case for investigation?" Jiang Chijing could hear the underlying meaning behind Guan Wei's words.

"You know how it is, the HX Management case has been decided. The chances of reversing the outcome are very slim," Guan Wei said.

Jiang Chijing nodded thoughtfully. He previously worked in the courthouses and knew that it wasn't that easy to overturn a case. Even if Zheng Mingyi was telling the truth, if the clues in his hands weren't decisive enough, they wouldn't be able to reopen the case.

Furthermore, he still didn't trust the authorities and wouldn't be willing to hand over the clues he had.

Of course, the prerequisite for the above was that Zheng Mingyi was telling the truth.

If he was lying—that he never possessed any clues of his boss committing the offense in the first place—rather than saying that he did not trust the authorities or that he wasn't willing to hand it over, it would be better to say that he had nothing on him and was unable to hand anything over.

And here, Jiang Chijing abruptly realized a problem. What on earth was he worried about this for?

He was only a prison officer, what damn business was it of his to poke his nose in?