Forgiveness

When I stepped into the apartment I didn't know what to expect... Did Maki even come back here? She could have gone off on her own somewhere in the city... She isn't even answering my calls or texts so I have no idea where she went off to.

Alas, all my doubts were washed away when I saw Maki sitting on the couch watching tv in the refurbished apartment. The repairmen were so good that they made the apartment look brand-spanking new. 

Anyway, Maki was rolled into a ball on the coach. She was covered by a warm blanket, and she was watching... Wait is that Danganronpa?

"Maki."

"Oh... Hey." Maki replied with seemingly no anger in her voice. 

It seemed like she was watching chapter five. The chapter where she lost the love of her life. Kaito Momota.

"Maki you don't have to watch this... You already know what's going to happen." I told Maki since she knew at some point she would be forced to watch him die all over again.

"I just miss him. Sure it's been five years, but... He gave up his life for me... I can't help but felt immense guilt for what could have been." 

"Maki he was going to pass away eventually... Even he if didn't get executed he would die of the disease at some point." 

Maki then got up off the couch without saying a word and she walked off into her bedroom. You didn't know what to do or say next, but what she pulled out made your heart flutter.

It was Kaito's jacket. 

"This is all I have left from him... I'm surprised I was even allowed to keep the jacket." Maki stated, and you were surprised she still had it after all these years.

"Maki... Are you still in love with Kaito?" I asked her suspiciously.

"Maybe I still do, but at the same time maybe I don't... He's gone and he will never come back. I want to move on, but my inner self won't accept it." 

You were saddened by that statement in more ways than one. It was depressing that Maki still yearned for Kaito's love after almost five years, but at the same time, there has to be someone out there for her that will love her as much as Kaito did. Sure they never got together, but after watching V3 it was obvious there was a connection there. What if she had that same connection she had with him? With you...

"Maki... We need to talk..." 

This charade couldn't go on any longer. I had a crush on the girl. That kiss you had with Maki... It wasn't because you were grateful it was because you were in love. I had never met a woman as selfless as Maki before,  and thanks to Maki and Maki alone I was still standing on this planet. 

"Oh. Okay Y/N..." Maki said, and she took a spot next to you on the couch again.

I didn't know how I was going to tell her this. It wasn't like this was the first time I had a girlfriend, but this was Maki. There is a chance that this confession could start a trail to a marriage, or even a family with this- What am I saying! I am just asking her to be my girlfriend...

"This is honestly going to be a shocker to you, and if you say no I don't want anything to change Maki, b-"

"Your in love with me? Aren't you?" Maki inquired, and I could only nod my head. 

After Maki had successfully guessed what my confession was going to be the room fell silent. The both of us clearly had some thinking to do, but that is when Maki finally broke the ice and gave me her side of the story. 

"Y/N you are a great person, but I have a lot to think about. C-can you go into the other room?" Maki told me, and I obliged. 

I wanted her to say she loved me too... Even after that mixed reaction I still hoped that there was a possible future where I could be with Maki. I didn't want to ruin our friendship, but if she liked me back I obviously wanted to find out.

It felt like hours before Maki called me out of my room. I honestly felt like a little kid that was in trouble with their parents. I couldn't even get my mind off Maki once. I could only stare up at the ceiling and only hoped that she felt the same.

Finally after about three or four more hours. Maki finally gave me the cue to leave my room. I don't know why I even stayed in there the whole time it was my apartment... At the same time, I didn't want to interrupt her...

"So... I have been thinking about it, and I think I am in love with you too," Maki admitted, and after that confession, I felt like I won the lottery... I didn't win money but better yet Maki's love.