two.

THE AGENT - VOLUME 1chapter two !

chapter two !

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

LEANING back in my office chair as I waited for my mission report for Fury to print, I sighed and stared around my cubicle, my eyes falling onto the only photo frame I had on my desk. A slight smile plagued my lips when I glanced at the calendar. It would've been her birthday today. How could I have forgotten? I would've left work early to surprise her at her job and taken her out to a fancy restaurant with candles or fairy lights for dinner before giving her her present that I'd spend months preparing because she always deserved the world. I sat up in my chair and picked up the frame, staring at the photo it held.

It was our high school graduation back in New York ten years ago and we were both still in our caps and gown, celebrating the fact that we'd finally finished the four years of our STEM education. Her smile was beautiful and radiant and I could always tell that she'd been laughing before the photo was taken because her smile was effortless and her eyes were sparkling. Her eyes always sparkled when she laughed, I'd fallen in love with those sparkles on the first day of freshman year and I made sure to remember them when I lost her.

Upon hearing heavy footsteps coming down the hall beside my cubicle, I cleared my throat and hastily put the frame back, taking hold of my walking stick and standing up to get my printed mission report to give to Fury. That was when I saw Steve in his suit walking around with a face of thunder. Though, when he noticed me, his face relaxed and I waved.

"Everything go okay with bossman, soldier?" I asked and he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "That bad, huh?"

"Sometimes I wonder if the wrong people are in charge," he commented.

"The wrong people are definitely in charge," I scoffed. "Why do you think I answer to Maria and not him, even when she's not here?"

With a slight chuckle, Steve nodded and peered over at my desk casually as I pinned my identification badge to my blazer, just in case I needed it. Steve nodded his head at my desk.

"Who's that?" he asked.

I looked over at where he was staring and faltered a little when I saw that he'd noticed the photo frame. I forgot he didn't know about her. I sighed, looking back at my friend.

"That's my wife."

He looked at me as confusion and shock flooded his face and I smiled a little.

"I didn't know you were married," he said and glanced at my finger where I still wore my wedding ring. "Natasha's always trying to get you a date."