six.

THE AGENT - VOLUME 1chapter six !

chapter six !

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

BRUSHING a hair out of my face, I readjusted myself in my desk chair and briefly looked down at the keyboard as I typed for my part of Project Insight, hating absolutely every part of it. Because I was known to go on the bigger and more high-risk missions as the programmer and hacker, Pierce had me as the head of the programming team for Project Insight, to oversee any coding that was to be done by the people beneath me and do all of the major aspects of everything, mainly the ballistics. I hated that, if we failed this mission, this would be my legacy. I was going to be responsible for millions of murders.

And I thought being an Avenger would be nerve-wracking.

Maria had told me to act natural. To behave like I usually would at work until her signal. But, because we had no idea when Pierce and his thugs were going to go after Steve and Natasha, I was on edge since the moment I rolled into the Triskelion. I was never good at subtlety. How my mother didn't know I was a lesbian until I came out to her at fourteen, I had no clue. I'd blamed my slight tremble on too much coffee when a colleague asked if I was okay, which wasn't a complete lie. I asked for double espresso in my coffee this morning instead of a single.

I chewed on my lip as my eyes flickered across my screen, following my additions to the project, before I looked up to see one of my teammates holding out a sheet of paper, loaded with codes. Giving him a hopefully-genuine-looking smile, I took the piece of paper to look over it all, just like he'd asked me to, but I had to stop halfway through when my desk phone started to ring. Apologising profusely, I leaned forward and picked up the phone, holding it to my ear as I continued to read through the codes.

"Agent Twenty speaking," I said.

"Good afternoon, Agent Twenty, it's Commander Hill. Can you come down to my office as soon as you can?"

I immediately placed the paper down and straightened up in my chair, causing my teammate to look at me strangely. But I ignored him, passing the paper back to him and giving him a thumbs up.

"Yes, of course," I replied, watching the young man walk back to his seat and starting to sign out of my computer. "I'll be there ASAP."

She thanked me and I placed my phone back on its hook, staying in my seat for a second or two and watching my hands begin to tremble, before I cleared my throat and stood up. This was it. Everyone looked at me when they heard my chair move and I looked back at them, piling up all of my folders and files.