three.

THE AGENT - VOLUME 1chapter three !

chapter three !

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

NATASHA had come over with takeout and wine after work. It was pretty standard for the days that were hard for my mental health like today. Everything she'd done today had been typical Natasha when I was sad and I was always so grateful for her. She always knew how to bring a smile to my face, even when I didn't think she could.

Emerging from my bedroom after changing into clothes that were more comfortable than a pantsuit, I smiled when I saw Natasha plating up our takeout and entered the kitchen to grab two wine 'glasses', they were actually plastic because I kept dropping actual wine glasses, before following my best friend out to my living room. We both sat down as Natasha poured the wine into our glasses and I turned on my TV to put on my favourite TV show for background noise as we talked. Natasha passed me my glass then raised hers.

"Before we begin, let's have a toast," she said and I gave a soft smile, tears already prickling my eyes. "To the love of your life, Aurora."

"To Aurora," I chuckled weakly and looked up at the ceiling as if I could see my wife. "Happy birthday, sweetheart."

My heart pounded as we both sipped at the red liquid in our cups before Natasha turned her attention towards the TV and our curries and I did the same, stabbing my chicken with my fork. We talked and laughed as we ate and paid little attention to the TV. We were about to pour our third glass of wine when Natasha froze as if she heard something. I went to ask her what was wrong but she just lifted a finger at me, gesturing me to be quiet. That was when I heard what Natasha heard.

"Agent Twenty, this is Agent Thirteen," Sharon's voice faintly echoed and I froze. "Agent Twenty, come in."

"Is that your walkie-talkie?"

I rose to my feet and rushed over to my work bag to pull out my walkie-talkie, Sharon's voice repeating her previous statement. I stared at Natasha as I answered, holding down the button on the side.

"Agent Thirteen, this is Agent Twenty."

"Foxtrot is down, unresponsive. You and Spider are needed at the hospital ASAP," she ordered and I had to hide my gasp, finding myself to have no words at all. "Agent Twenty?"

"Present. Be there in ten at the latest."

Natasha listened as Sharon gave me the information of which hospital Fury was at and I clipped my walkie-talkie to my pants, grabbing my keys. Luckily, Natasha had brought her car with her tonight so we were able to go as soon as we could.