ii { time's running out }

I SAT IN THE CHAIR WITH A DESK IN FRONT OF ME. my hands folded under the desk. hangman sat 3 rows in front of me. rooster sat in front of me leaning back comfortably in his chair.

"attention on deck!" everyone stood up as admiral cyclone and warlock walked up. we looked at warlock as he came up to the podium. "be seated." i sat down and looked at the admiral.

"good morning. your mission is to destroy a uranium enrichment plant that is located between two mountains and a valley leading up to it. your instructor is a top gun graduate and has first hand experience with missions. i give you captain pete mitchell, call sign, 'maverick'." warlock said as he walked to the side.

"morning." maverick smiled. he he'd up the f-18 manual. "this has everything you need to know about your plane. i'm sure you know this book in and out."

"damn right." payback said.

"damn strait." hangman mumbled.

maverick held the manual over the trash and dropped it. "well so does your enemy."

"and we're off." hondo mumbled.

"but what they don't know, is your limits. i intend to find those limits and push you and your jet to the breaking point." maverick said. "and today, we will start with what you only think you know."

once we were dismissed we walked into the waiting room and we all sat down. rooster, payback and fanboy were up first. once they were in their jets we could hear them in the comms. i sat near the window and near the comms so i could hear them.

"morning aviators, this is your captain speaking, today's lesson is dogfighting. try to shoot me down or else." maverick said.

"or else what sir?" payback said.

"or else i shoot back." maverick said.

"why don't we put some skin in the game?" payback said.

"what did you have in mind?" mav questioned.

"how about whoever loses dies 200 push ups?" fanboy interjected.

"boys, that's a lot of pushups."

"they don't call it an exercise for nothing, sir." fanboy laughed.

"fights on." maverick said.

"oh shit!" rooster said.

~ skip time to hail and hangman up in the air ~

"where is he?" i asked, looking around.

"don't know, i don't see him in the radar." hangman said.

"he's either behind us or below us." i said. "oh and hangman?"

"yes?"

"don't pull a classic jake seresin."

"i don't know what you mean."

"don't hang me out to dry."

"no promises hail."

"tally two, maverick two miles out coming fast." i said into my comms.

"what's your call hail?" he hollered.

"head towards him."

"what? are you- fine. shit." he mumbled.

"come in hangman, don't be afraid of a little fun." i giggled.

i increased my speed as i flew closer to maverick. i passed him and turned the jet around to chase him. during that time hangman broke right and left me out to dry.

"god damn it hangman." i mumbled. i followed maverick closely and i went for radar lock.

"come on baby, lock up." i whispered. maverick slowed his speed and came above me to get behind me. i broke left while maverick was getting settled.

"you're good kid, i'll give you that." maverick whispered to himself.

"thanks uncle mav." i said. i tried to out run him but soon ended with beeping blaring the cockpit. "damn it." i mumbled.

"go see hondo about your push ups skye." maverick said.

"yes sir!" i said.

"now to get hangman." mav mumbled.

i flew back towards base and landed the plane safely. i hopped out and went straight to hondo.

"hail how close am i to him?" hangman said.

"hail?"

"i'm dead dickhead. see you in the afterlife." i said into my comms, holding back a laugh.

"down! one!" he said as i did one push up. damn this was going to be long.

~ after push-ups ~

"down, 200!" hondo said. "good job hail, go get a shower." hondo smiled.

"yes sir!" i smiled. i walked inside and went straight to my locker to grab an extra pair of clothes. i went toward the showers and grabbed a towel from the rack.

once i got into the room i stripped from my clothes and took a well needed shower. i changed and dried my hair when i walked out. we could leave for the day so i got in my car and drove to my parent's house.

once i pulled into the driveway i saw the front door open and i saw my mother stand in the doorway. i got out of my car and put my keys in my jeans pocket. i ran to my mom and hugged her.

"how are you?" she asked me. she planted a kiss in the top of my head.

"i'm good, you?" i said.

"i'm good. but your father in the other hand can barely speak. it hurts him too much." she said softly. i nodded my head as i walked towards his office.

i opened the door and i saw him turn to look at the door. as soon as he saw me he smiled. he reached his hand out to point to the chair. he coughed and i heard the rattle in his throat. i grabbed the chair and put it near him and sat down.

"how are you?" i said. he smiled and nodded his head. i felt the burn in my eyes but i refused the tears to fall.

"i want to talk to you about the mission." he typed on his computer.

"no please, i don't want to. but if you want to know about maverick, he's one of the best teachers we could ask for." i said. my father nodded and typed more on his computer.

once i left i hugged my mother once more then grabbed my keys and went to my car. once i sat down i pulled my knees to my chest and the tears broke. time was running out so i would have to spend a lot of time with my dad.

hope you like this update! this one isn't my best