INTRODUCTION

meeting you was fate, becoming
your friend was a choice,
but falling in love with you,
i had no control over.

⎯⎯michael bliss

THREE MONTHS AFTER MYSTERIOUSLY GIVING BIRTH TO A BABY, a scared mother left her child at a fire station in the middle of the night. This young mother, at only sixteen, didn't know the first thing about raising a child and believed that her daughter deserved better than what she could give her. She kissed her baby girl on the head and left before anyone would know what she had just done. And the sixteen-year-old never looked back. Though, over the years, her heart did long to know where her daughter had ended up.

The firefighters working at Station 17 found the baby girl shortly after hearing her small cries. They contacted the authorities as well as child services and reported their discovery, and someone came down to take the child away. The baby girl, with no name, was placed in the foster system. A week later, she was adopted by two loving men, Oscar Torres and Ethan Kepp, who wanted to have a family of their own. They named her Sophie after Ethan's late mother.

Sophie grew up loved by her two fathers. She was their pride and joy, and they made sure to smother their little girl with love every chance they got, wanting her to know just how she meant to them. Sophie loved every aspect of her life growing up, and wouldn't change a thing about it, even if she was given the chance to do so. But her happiness came to an end when they decided to go on a family vacation before school started and were in a fatal car accident. While Oscar died on impact, Ethan survived another three days after undergoing multiple surgeries. He breathed long enough to ensure the safety and survival of their daughter before joining his partner in the afterlife.