002. fate has other plans

002. Fate Has Other Plans

 WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT

WHEN THE SCHOOL DAY HAD COME TO AN END AND ALL of her students had gone home with their parents or guardians, Sophie spent the rest of her afternoon cleaning up the classroom and getting everything ready for tomorrow. After that, she went home and snuggled up with Patsy on the sofa. Then, she got hungry after a while. But instead of making herself something to eat at home, Sophie decided to head down to the Moonglade Diner that was just down the road ⎯⎯ which was thankfully in walking distance so she could enjoy some fresh air ⎯⎯ for a burger and fries and maybe get some pie for dessert afterwards.

Sophie made sure that Patsy got her special home-made dinner blend before she grabbed her purse and walked out the door. Thankfully, it wasn't raining anymore, so she wouldn't have to use an umbrella. She could simply enjoy the fresh air as she walked down the sidewalk toward the diner, observing nature and all of its astounding beauty.

She arrived in a short few minutes, the bell above the front door of the Moonglade Diner chiming as she walked over the threshold. Sophie was immediately greeted with the signature sweet smile of one Mrs. Wendy Katz, who has been the proud owner of the establishment since the early sixties.

"Hello, Sophie," Mrs. Katz greeted sweetly from where she was standing behind the counter and refilling some salt and pepper shakers for the tables.

"Hey, Mrs. Katz, how are you this evening?" Sophie asked as she plopped down on a barstool, shedding off her coat and laying it on the counter along with her purse.

"I'm doing okay, thank you," Mrs. Katz replied, setting everything down and walking over to take care of her favourite regular customer. She pulled out a pad and pen from her apron, hands shaking ever-so slightly from having worked such a long day. "What can I get you, dear?"

"I'll have a burger and fries," Sophie replied, watching with a slight frown as the woman's hand shook as she wrote everything down. Recently, Mrs. Katz had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, so it was getting harder and harder for her to work at the diner lately. "And, uh, a coke, please."