004. a complete and utter mess

CHAPTER FOURa complete and utter mess 

CHAPTER FOUR
a complete and utter mess

CHAPTER FOURa complete and utter mess 

tw: mentions of sexual assault

DIEGO HARGREEVES WAS A COMPLETE AND UTTER MESS. Hours had gone by since Sophie had been rushed into emergency surgery, and both him and Eudora Patch — who soon left after telling the staff to call her with any new updates — hadn't heard a single word since then. Not knowing whether she was alive or not was torture. He paced up and down the hallways, sat in various chairs in the waiting area, his knee bouncing up and down, and he even fiddled with his knives to try and pass the time. But no matter what he did, nothing seemed to help ease his worries.

Finally, with only a few hours until sunrise, a nurse approached him. The same nurse from before. The one who told him that she would give him an update on Sophie's condition as soon as she was able to. Diego jumped up from his chair the moment he saw her, his heart racing as she walked over to him, an expression on her face that he couldn't quite read. He didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"Is she okay?" were the first words Diego asked as the nurse came to a stop in front of him.

"She's alive," the nurse said reassuringly, and Diego felt as though a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. His tense muscles instantly relaxed and he lowered his head, eyes closing in relief at the good news. But when the nurse spoke again, his eyes snapped open and he looked up at her face, his smile wavering. "But," she began, until he cut her off.

"But, what?" Diego asked worriedly, his heart immediately sinking. So many thoughts came to mind that he suddenly felt dizzy.

"She lost a lot of blood," the nurse explained. "But the doctor managed to stop the bleeding and repaired the damage that had been done to her lung."

Diego managed a smile, relieved to hear. "That's a good thing," he said. But when the nurse's expression hadn't changed, his smile faltered. "Isn't it?"