11

Elphi blushed at the unexpected compliment, glancing at him through her lashes as a thrill of delight unfurled in the pit of her stomach. "Thank you."

He nodded.

Elphi hesitated, feeling as though her heart would burst out of her chest as she gathered her nerves and asked, "Would it be a true marriage?"

"Yes," Rufus said without hesitation. But then he paused and studied her. "Would you prefer it be in name only?"

Her cheeks burned hotter, and she shook her head. "No... however, I would like more time to get better acquainted before we," she swallowed and further lowered her voice, positive she would perish of mortification if her brother somehow overheard her. "Become intimate."

He bit back a smile and nodded. "Agreed."

Elphi relaxed a little in her chair.

When she grew quiet once more, he glanced at his pocket watch and said, "We still have eight minutes if there's anything else you wish to discuss or ask before you make your final decision."

Shaking her head, Elphi stood and clenched her eyes shut. "I don't need any more time. My mind is made."

She took a deep, calming breath and was somewhat surprised to find the bubble of panic that had lodged itself in her throat since Rufus asked her to marry him had evaporated.

Elphi would have taken it as a sign of good fortune if she hadn't realized it had merely dropped to the pit of her stomach where it now sat like a stone.

There was no doubting the fact that the very prospect of spending the rest of her life alone was a miserable one. But it paled in comparison to the sharp pang of agony that struck her at the thought of Rufus falling victim to her curse.

Which meant only one thing, didn't it? She had been doomed from the moment she met him and was further down the slippery slope of falling in love with this man than she'd first thought. It was a terrifying realization that she didn't know how to rectify or even if she should. After all, what was the point now?

"And what is it you've decided, Lady Matson?" Rufus asked as he rose to his feet.

Elphi tipped her chin to look him in the eyes and sent a silent prayer to the heavens that what she was about to say wouldn't be the death of him. "To marry you, Lord Treadway."

Rufus smiled, wide enough to make the dimple in his left cheek wink at her, and Elphi decided then and there she adored the tiny, unassuming indentation.

"Shall we shake on it?" She asked, feeling there ought to be something to mark the event instead of the more traditional kiss.

One couldn't be too safe, she reasoned, refusing to admit the thought of pressing her lips to his was equally alarming and exhilarating. If he proved correct about his theory and survived, then she would reward herself with a kiss or two.

She may even consider it proper motivation to see the matter through and help overcome her frazzled nerves.

Rufus's eyes twinkled with a mischievous light as he took her bare right hand in his left and bowed, bringing it to his lips for a kiss. "A compromise?"

Elphi swallowed a nervous giggle, unable to tear her eyes from his as he stood to his full height and kept hold of her hand. "Well... I suppose I—"

"That's it," Roderick declared, throwing the doors open and storming inside. "Times up. What did you tell him? No, I hope."

Hours later, Rufus—his left eye bruised and swollen shut after meeting with Roderick's fist several hours prior—stood across from Elphi, reciting his vows in a church north of London.