25

Elphi stared at her reflection in the cheval mirror Rufus had surprised her with earlier that week, feeling like she was seeing herself for the first time in over six years.

The emerald silk gown Madame Morrissey had fashioned surpassed everything Elphi wished it might be.

Ruched emerald gauze formed the sleeves, with the left covered in cream-colored roses from shoulder to bosom.

Embroidered epaulets formed the square neckline, edged with a band of delicate gold lace that reminded Elphi of dripping wisteria and revealed a flirtatious amount of bosom, which drew the eye to the gold embroidery flowing down the bodice.

The front of the skirt fell to the floor in a graceful emerald column, but the sides were embellished by deep frills that formed a panel. Two bouffant puffs below the waist, trimmed along the edge with dainty gold lace and a double frilled ruche, created the bustle and long train.

Elphi had never owned an evening gown like it, and she couldn't wait to see Rufus's reaction.

"Darling," Rufus called from the foyer, as though he'd sensed she was thinking of him, "are you sure you don't need help? You've been up there for ages."

"I'll be down in a moment," she answered, pressing a hand to her stomach to still the swarm of butterflies fluttering around.

Her heart hammered so fiercely she swore the lace edging on her dress trembled with every beat.

Excitement and nervousness coursed through her veins, but Elphi was unsure if it stemmed from being moments away from Rufus seeing her in her new gown or because she'd decided to tell him she loved him tonight.

The pervading sense of doom, which she'd been unable to shake since confessing her feelings in Rufus's study, had steadily intensified over the past few weeks.

Elphi had refused to let Rufus out of her sight, regardless of his protestations or assurances he wouldn't be in danger, and had accompanied him on all his investigations and outings because if catastrophe was bound to strike, she preferred it happened to them both.

And her strategy must have worked because when Elphi began dressing for the ball, after a moment of thinking something didn't feel quite right, she realized the overwhelming sense of imminent foreboding had vanished.

She'd been tempted to throw open the bedroom door and shout out her love to Rufus, where he waited for her in the foyer. But caution—and the fact she stood in her undergarments—had bid her hold her tongue a while longer to ensure the feelings of anxiety didn't return, and by the time she was fully dressed, Elphi knew with surety that her fear was gone.

Quickly, she donned her mother's pearl necklace and matching earrings, tucked the feather and pearl comb in her hair, pulled on her ivory elbow-length gloves, then gave herself one last scrutinizing look before leaving the bedroom.

"Where are you, Rufus?" She asked, carefully peering over the banister until she spotted the top of his head half hidden from view.

"Precisely where you told me to stand."

"Are you facing the door, and are your eyes closed?"

Rufus shuffled his feet into position, then chuckled, "Yes."

"All right," Elphi murmured, walking midway down the staircase. "Don't look until I tell you." She quickly rearranged the placement of her train on the stairs, gripped the railing, and focused her gaze on Rufus as she said, "You can look now."

She wasn't sure what sort of reaction she expected from him, but one thing was sure—it exceeded all her imaginings.

He slowly turned, his lips quirked in her favorite boyish grin of his. But the instant he saw her, he stared as though he were a blind man seeing a sunrise for the first time.