26

Mournful silence filled most of the carriage ride from Foxney Manor to Barkston Hall.

Rufus stared at the empty space beside Roderick with a look of abject sorrow and disbelief. His brow creased in his familiar frown as he tilted his head to the side, straining to hear the quiet conversation only he could.

Elphi glanced from her husband to Roderick, who looked like he was on the verge of vomiting or weeping—though neither had occurred yet—ever since Rufus quietly told them of Reggie's tragic fate.

He hadn't divulged any other information since ushering them from the ballroom, requesting their cloaks, and ordering the carriage be brought round, leaving Elphi and Roderick to grapple with the shocking news and mounting questions.

But there was no disputing this tragedy to be nothing other than the truth.

"Was Rosalind with him when it happened?"

"No, she's at home," Rufus murmured, his voice thick with emotion. "Reggie says she's been unwell."

Roderick's gaze snapped to Rufus, but he remained silent.

"Does he look frightened?"

Rufus hesitated. "No... confused but calm."

"Is that normal?" Roderick quietly asked.

"Depending on the spirit and how they passed, yes."

Roderick grunted.

Wiping at the tears trickling down her cheeks with a handkerchief, Elphi sniffled, "Do you know how it happened?"

"Yes," Rufus said, finally looking at her. He took her hand in his and brought it to his lips for a kiss before adding, "But Rosalind should be the first to hear... if she hasn't been informed already."

Elphi nodded in agreement, then leaned her head on his left shoulder and allowed her tears to fall unheeded until they arrived at Barkston Hall several minutes later.

After exiting the carriage, Roderick remained at the bottom step while Rufus reached to lift the knocker, but the door swung open, and the sound of Rosalind weeping reached their ears.

Gripping Elphi's hand tight, Rufus entered and quietly asked the butler, "Where is Lady Keating?"

"In the green drawing room with District Superintendent Graham and Sergeant Tilcott from the constabulary, My Lord."

Rufus nodded. "When did they arrive?"

"Fifteen minutes ago—"

"FETCH A DOCTOR," a tall, barrel-chested man shouted. The authority and panic in his voice ricocheted down the hall while he raced toward them in an amber-colored plaid suit, his face ashen and brow glistening with sweat as he cried out, "Lady Keating is bleeding."

Roderick looked up from staring at the fire when Doctor Norris entered the green drawing room and heaved a sad sigh.

The bespectacled, gray-haired man glanced at Roderick for a moment, his brow creasing with a slight frown—making Roderick feel even more the interloper than he already did—then moved to Elphi sitting beside Rufus on the sofa before meeting Rufus's gaze. "I've given Lady Keating some laudanum to help her rest, but I'm afraid there was nothing I could do to save the child."

Rufus wiped moisture from his eyes and nodded.

"So much tragedy in one night," the doctor muttered, "first her husband and now this... gather your loved ones close; it's proven after two deaths in a family, a third is sure to follow."

"Groundless rubbish," Roderick growled, leveling a heated glare at Doctor Norris.

The room fell into an awkward silence until Rufus cleared his throat and stood, saying, "We'll keep that in mind."