Prologue

written: 08.23.22-10.15.22
edited: 02.24.24-

Once upon a time...

THE LIGHT

This is the story of how I died.

Don't worry, it's actually a very fun story! And the truth is, is isn't even mine.

This is a story of a boy named Richard. And it starts with the sun.

Now, once upon a time, a single drop off sunlight fell from the heavens. And from the small drop off sun grew a magic golden flower. It had the ability to heal the sick and injured.

The sun dropped a golden ray of light to the ground, planting it. Springing forth was a yellow flower that sparked beautifully.

An old woman dressed in a cloak slowly walked up to it, looking around to make sure that nobody saw.

Oh, you see that old woman there? You might wanna remember her. She's kind of important.

Well, centuries passed and a hop, skip, and a boat ride away there grew a kingdom. The kingdom was ruled by a beloved king and queen. And the queen, well, she was about to have a baby. And she got sick. Really sick.

Years had passed. Queen Arianna lay on what seemed to be her deathbed, her husband by her side, brow furrowed.

She was running out of time and that's when people usually start to look for a miracle. Or, in this case, a magic golden flower.

The old woman, still there, glanced around before pulling up a bushel she had put over the flower to hide it, her eyes glowing with lust.

Ah, I told you she'd be important. You see, instead of sharing the sun's gift, the woman, Mother Gothel, hoarded its healing power and used it to keep herself young for hundreds of years. And all are had to do was sing a special song.

Mother Gothel:
Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine...

She let herself smile, relaxed and young, her curly hair now black instead of white, her chin inward, her fingers slender and soft.

Alright, you get the gist. She sings, she turns young. Creepy, right?

Gasping at the sound of footsteps, Mother Gothel slammed her covering over it before hiding. But the guards, who were ordered to look literally everywhere for this flower, checked.

"We found it!"

The flower was uprooted and brought back to the palace, all while Gothel watched with a scowl on her face.

-

The magic of the golden flower healed the queen.

A healthy baby boy - a prince - was born with beautiful golden hair.

A baby laughed at he looked up at his parents with a huge smile, kicking his little arms and feet.

I'll give you a hint. That's Richie.

Both parents smiled down at him. With a small laugh, Frederic picked him up and placed a crown on his head.

To celebrate his birth, the king and queen launched a flying lantern into the sky. For that one moment, everything was perfect.

And then that moment ended.

-

Mother Gothel, an old woman again, climbed through the window to the monarchs' bedroom, where the prince's crib was setup. She crept over, sinister smile on her face.

"Flower, gleam and glow..."

His hair began to glow a yellow color, maliciously delighting the old woman.

"Let your power shine..."

Her hair began to turn black again. She reached for a pair of scissors and cut a handful of Richie's long hair.

"Make the clock re -"

She cut off a piece and it turned brown. She gasped, dropping it and bringing her hand closer, realizing it was turning boney again.

Gothel broke into the tower and stole the child. Just like that. Gone.

Frederic and Arianna awoke moments later when they heard Richie's crying. They whipped around to the window, saw two glaring grey eyes, and then they were gone with the flash of a black cloak.

-

The kingdom searched and searched, but they could not find the prince. For deep within the forest, in a hidden tower, Gothel raised the child as her own.

Gothel brushed Richie's hair as he sang the song, his hair now glowing a golden yellow.

"...save what has been lost...bring back what once was mine...what once was mine..." He sighed, not noticing Gothel sighing as her wrinkles disappeared. "Why can't I go outside?"

"The outside world is a dangerous place filled with horrible, selfish people. You must stay here where it's safe. Do you understand, flower?"

"Yes, Mommy."

-

But the walls of the tower could not hide everything.

Richie tiptoed past his mother's room to the window of the tower, where you could just see the lanterns from Corona.

Each year, on his birthday, the king and queen released thousands of lanterns into the sky in hope that one day, their lost prince would return.

He sighed, resting his head on the sill with a small smile.

-

Now, I know I said this is Richie's story, but we're going to switch gears for a minute.

Once upon a time, a baby girl was left on the step of Corona's orphanage. The first to find her was a young boy.

A young boy opened the door when he heard crying. His eyes widened when he saw her in the basket, as well as hers, the crying ceasing. Gently, he picked her up, took her inside, and shut the door.

And their names...were Flynn and Jaylyn Rider.